Tire rub help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire rub help?

I have a 2000 supercrew xlt 4X4. I am currently running 315/75/16 tires with aftermarket rims. I purchased the vehicle this way and I noticed that I am rubbing against the front A-Arm when the wheels are cranked. Is there a spacer kit to move the tires out a little bit or will I need to get new rims with less backspace?

BTW very cool forum, I have learned a ton just reading thru the posts.

Thank you
Thomas Hayes

Old 08-21-2003, 12:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know what the backspacing is on the wheels you have is.

When I put the 2001 L wheels on my 01 SCrew, I had to install the L wheel stops. Ford Racing makes a kit that repalces the stock steering stops for having the additional backspacing.

These are available at any Ford Racing shop like www.oemfordparts.com, it is Ford Racing p/n : M-1010-L.

The backspacing on the 01 L wheel is 5.80" on a 18"x9" wheel.

Jack up the front of the truck ( if you don't have access to a lift ), and use an angle grinder to grind off the back of the wheel stop. They are hot rivited into place after the A frame is power coated.

Once you grind the face off, you will see where the stock steering stop is through the A frame. USe a drift to BEAT the stock ones out. I do mean BEAT, my were a huge PITA to get out, but I was doing it laying on the floor, with jack stands under the front.

Once you have the stock ones out, the new ones are bolted into place with lock tight. All set to go. You loose about an additional 1/16 to 1/8" of turning radius with the L wheel stops. It's not much, but it is all that is needed to stop the wheel from clearing a wheel weight on the bolt for the brake line, or the tire rubbing on the A frame. My tires are 285/60R18s, if you want to use that as a size comprison to yours.

Good luck

Steve

Quick Reply: Tire rub help?