Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Strange Noise

I have recently noticed a strange noise coming from my 1993 f-150.........it sounds like the tread on a 35" tire hitting the pavement at 60mph......(you know..that fast vibration, buzzing almost)...the problem is i only wish i had 35" tires.......mine are 31" with a modest at best tread pattern...and the sound still happens on gravel roads or dirt roads, it gets slower/faster with vehicle speed....if i hadnt tried it on the dirt roads i would still be blaming it on the tires, anyone who rides in the vehicle with me will swear it is the tires...thats how convincing it is....Hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks, Adam

Old 08-29-2003, 03:32 AM
Could be many things. A few things that cause similar type sound are wheels bearings, diferential problem, and tranny. Does it sound like it is coming from the front or rear of the truck more than another or is it coming from everywhere? Oh is it 4WD or 2WD? Could also be transfer case if 4WD.

Old 08-29-2003, 02:17 PM
It is in 2wd, and the tranny was rebuilt 2000 miles ago, the engine is new 1000 miles ago..

Old 08-29-2003, 07:47 PM
It is in 2wd, and the tranny was rebuilt 2000 miles ago, the engine is new 1000 miles ago..

Old 08-30-2003, 03:45 AM
I would check the things that I suggested in my previous comment. But you also need to try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Checapest thing I could suggest to you is to make sure you have adquate fluid in the dif. Gears tend to make a sound similar to that. Also tote it back to the tranny shop and let them take a listen, maybe they can figure it out and probably won't charge you just to listen to it.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise