98 Center Caps Keep Coming Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Center Caps Keep Coming Off

After 6 years without a problem, my center caps (the small chrome caps that cover the lug nuts) have started to come of while driving. the problem started last week when I got new tires.

I've already bought a new one, retrieved several, and now need to buy two more.

Does anyone know why this is happening? They do fit snug, but come off while driving.

Is there an aftermarket cap I can buy that would stay on better?

Last edited by HappyCamper; 09-01-2003 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:04 PM
mine too...

That's funny...i just logged on to ask the same question. I noticed today that one of mine were missing too. I looks as though it was broke off either purposley or by hitting something because there are little tabs around the housing that are still there. Where would i start looking for replacments or aftermarket caps? Thanks.

Old 09-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Rookie,

I bought one from the local Ford dealer. It was about $35. Today I need to go buy two more.

I did notice that the new one is staying on, so maybe the tabs are worn out on the original caps. I tried to bend the tabs on the original ones for better holding power, but it didn't work.

Be careful if you order any off the internet because there are several variations of that center cap! It took several trips back to the parts room before the Ford dealer had the right one. Some look very similar, but have a different diameter or slightly different style.

Good luck, and let me know if you find anything out.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:47 AM
Thanks H.C.

I actually found one last night on ebay that i'm bidding on. I't's the closest i can find to mine. It's actually off of the same year and model of my truck...crossin' my fingers.

Old 09-04-2003, 02:01 AM
i've got a 98, and have heard of a few people on this board that have lost their caps also... hope that mine do not fall off sometime soon... knock on wood

Old 09-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh great, something else for me to worry about.
It's a wonder I can sleep at night.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:46 PM
I bought two more center caps at the Ford dealer. The original part number (that you'll find inside the center cap, if you still have any on the truck) has been superseded, according to the parts clerk.

We compared the original and the new caps and it looks like the spring clips have been re-designed on the new cap. The new ones definitely fit more snug.

Old 09-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

If the caps are taken on and off many times the metal fins get lose. Just take a par of plyers and bend them in.

Old 09-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Lost one about 2 months ago. Replaced it, drove home, and that bastard came off on the drive home, what a waste of $41. I took the other 3 off and havn't looked back since. I think it makes it look more agressive without the center cap on. I keep telling myself to buy some chrome lugs, but I'm too cheap/poor.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM
I've bought two sets of cheap aftermarket caps, one on ebay, one from a local hubcap store, they were a false economy because almost all of them fell off. Put the originals back, with their flaking chrome, and they are still on. The real ones from the dealer, here in Canada anyway, are expensive. Has anyone found an aftermarket cap that isn't junk? I've got a 98 with the standard chrome steel wheels.

Quick Reply: 98 Center Caps Keep Coming Off