Got new brakes... still squealing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got new brakes... still squealing...

Heya'll,

I had new brakes put on my '99 F-150 ext. cab a few months ago... they pretty much replaced everything on the brakes, rotors, pads, etc. I know there is a break in period with new brakes... but it has been 3 months, and when I stop there is a squealing noise coming from the brakes... could it just be dust ? and if so, is there an easy way to clean them ?? could it be somethign else altogether ? I'm not the most super mechanical guy around, but I can do basic stuff... lemme know what ya think

Jeff

Old 09-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Did you get aftermarket pads? Many times they squeel more than OEM. Either way, the first thing I would do is pull the pads and hit them with some sand paper. Also sand the edges of the lining material a little. Not always the solution but usually helps.

Do one side at a time. This is very doable for a novice.

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2003, 07:27 PM
yep.. they are aftermarket pads.. not sure the brand... how would I go about sanding the pads, like you mentioned ?

or should I just take it back to the brake place I had them put on at ?

JEff

Old 09-24-2003, 09:52 AM
If you pull out the pads, make sure there's a shim in there too. Some aftermarket brands (ie., cheaper ones) don't include new shims. As the brakes bed, there is more pronounced metal to metal contact between the pad and caliper. This will surely lead to squeaking - both under braking, and slow speed driving.

If there isn't any shim, put some 'anti-squeal' (blue or red goop) on the backs of the pads before reassembling.

Of course, if you regularly go to the shop for work, you should ask them to check out what happened to your brakes since they did the job. A reputable place will try to make the job right for you. I'd do that first...

Old 10-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Make sure It is the new brakes. I had the exact same problem, but just by chance my back brakes started squeaking after changing the front brakes and checking the back brakes. Icleaned and lubricated the back parts de glazed the pads, and finally got quite brakes!

Old 11-03-2003, 12:03 AM
brake squeal

i had the same problem took back 2 sets of napa pads. Called dealer and they told me i had to use ceramics. that is what the truck came with and ford has gotten rid of some of the noise dampening features of the brake system since the ceramics are quieter. If you decide to use the non ceramic pads try putting some anti seize on the slides to ensure even pressure and easy pad return. Just a though thanks

Quick Reply: Got new brakes... still squealing...