6 spoke cast aluminum wheels as replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-1999, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 6 spoke cast aluminum wheels as replacements?

Hi. I have a '97 F-150 XLT 4x2 w/ auto tranny. I did not get the trailer towing package, so I ended up with the polished aluminum 16" wheels with P235/70R16 Firestone Tires.

What I really would have liked are the cast 6 spoke cast aluminum wheels with Goodyear Wrangler AT tires that Ford put on the trucks with the trailer towing package. These look a bit bigger then what I have, though I'm not sure if that's because the wheel is bigger, or if both the tire and wheel are bigger.
According to the 1997 brochure the both mine and the 6 spoke wheels are 16" in diameter. Does anyone know what size the tires are that they typically put on these wheels? If I change to these presumably bigger tires, what mods to I need to make to my speedometer and computer, if any?

Old 07-11-1999, 10:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the tire size is 255/70/16 are the tires you are talking about. As far as your speedo I don't think it will have an effect on it but I could be wrong.

[This message has been edited by hmustang (edited 07-11-1999).]

Old 08-09-1999, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BrettJ -
The six spoke wheels are INDEED 16" in diameter. The Wrangler tires that came on my truck were 255's although that is actually a bump up from the standard size. In other words, it is possible that you might have the slightly smaller tires on your truck. I think they might be 235's.
I no longer have the stock wheels and tires on my truck as I changed them and went to 17x8" wheels with 275x60 tires. My stock 6 spoke wheels are taking up space in the basement. There could be a very slight change in you speedo if you change tire sizes

------------------
Black '97, SC with 4.6, 3.55 gears, automatic, 2-4 Belltech drop kit, SnugTop fiberglass lid, 3 chamber Flowmaster muffler, billet bumper grill, fog lights, American Racing 17x8 wheels with 275-60 Goodyear Eagle GT II tires.

Quick Reply: 6 spoke cast aluminum wheels as replacements?