Wheel weights falling off

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2000, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wheel weights falling off

I've had my wheels balanced three different times by three different places (17"rims) and within a week or so the weights fly off.
Any comments? I haven't had the Ford dealer do it yet; too much hassle to get appt. for such minor work. Thanks

Old 05-31-2000, 08:58 PM
Good luck... On my 97 it took 3 trips to different tire stores to find one that supposedly had the right "mag" weights and they swore they would stick... I threw 'em. Finally settled for regular weights on the outside (they stuck) and tape weights on the inside (reg. weights flew off inside) tape weights inside stuck also. Would have had them static balanced (tape weights inside center of wheel) but those damn BFG 285's (great tire...Just take alot of weight to balance) took Soooo much weight I didn't think they would balance properly that way. If all else fails take it to Ford or have them only use the tape weights inside on the centerline of the wheel.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat S/C 4x4 ORP 5.4L Bright Red/gold

Old 06-05-2000, 02:35 PM
When I had the Goodyears still on, I'd throw at least one weight every time I'd go play in the mud. Thankfully, the guys down at NTB are great, and did them for no charge. Ever since I put the new set on, haven't lost a weight. They must have done something correct.

Scot

------------------
97 F150 ORP
Towing/trailer package, 3.55LS
34" Mickey Thompson Baja Belteds, Requisite K&N Airfilter
JVC Kamelon CD Player, CB, bug shield, window shields, and other goodies

Old 06-05-2000, 06:51 PM
Old road racers trick for tape-on weights on alloy wheels:
Clean and DEGREASE the wheel. Have new tape balance weights put on. Cover the weights with a piece of duct tape. Hit it with a heat gun to cure the tape.

Old 06-05-2000, 08:50 PM
Cool

I had the problem too, and balanced my wheels 3 different times before getting disgusted and used tape on weights static balanced on the inside. I clean the area with brakleen and then apply the weights. I have never had a weight come off yet. (That's also how I do all other vehicles with those rims now, and haven't had a come-back yet).

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Kenwood 10-disk cd changer, Kenwood am/fm cassette head unit, Ford bugshield, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Ventshades, Ford bedliner, Lund Premier tonneau cover, cab and bed professionally undercoated, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna and Astatic power mic, ported MAF sensor, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 06-07-2000, 12:45 AM
Cool

The correct wheel weight for these rims is a
"T-type" coated wheel weight. These weights will work on all F series and Expedition wheels. Other types of weights will fall off.
I have used the "T type" weights and have had no problems. I guess it also depends how hard and where you drive if they will stay on.

Old 06-07-2000, 05:10 PM
If you use stick on weights, make sure they clean the wheel extra good and they will stay.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification,Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back.

Quick Reply: Wheel weights falling off