Big/ but not to big

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big/ but not to big

Ok I have a 4.6L single cab truck that came with some ugly grey rims (sorry I have never liked them) but I was finally able to save up and get some 17"s that will look really good. Now I just need to decide as to what tires I should get so I can get them. I drive my truck on the highway ALOT that's basically what it see's. So I will need a tire that is quiet (no humming), good treadwear rate, handles and VERY IMPORTANTLY, I don't want to go to big of tire that it kills the ummph of the truck. We put 2" taller (total) tires on my friends truck and it killed the performance. So with that said what can you'll tell me with your wisdom? thanks in advance,
Dustin

Old 10-25-2003, 04:08 PM
Did you already buy the 17" wheels?

I think there are alot more options for tires in the 16" flavor, but it depends on what kind of tire you want? All-terrain?

Check out the thread named "tire recommendations", the starter had 17" wheels as well if i recall correctly...

Old 10-26-2003, 02:45 AM
The reason your friend lost the umph in his truck was by increasing rim size, therefore raising the gear ratio. My guess is that it came with 3.55 rearend gears and now with bigger rims/tire combo the gear ratio has also increase to 3.12's or something in that neighborhood. He propbably gets great highway milage though now.
This is my understanding when changing tires/rims

Last edited by Buckshot CND; 10-26-2003 at 04:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Big/ but not to big