front end alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2000, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post front end alignment

Posted this is "aftermarket" but it should have been here.
I've been to the dealer three times for excessive wear (featheredging)on the outer edge of the front tires on the 12K old y2k Lariat. After several rotations and alignments, they have set the toe in to "zero". I've noticed this wear pattern on the tires of other F150s also - even a 4x4. Anybody else seeing this problem?

Old 07-25-2000, 11:44 PM
Do you know what the toe was originally?

What is the OEM Spec?

Do you have an LS differential?

------------------
Y2K™ Jim Gorka

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 07-26-2000, 01:19 AM
If both front tires are wearing on the outer edge, that is usually a sign of excessive toe-in. That's assuming you don't drive your truck like you're in the 24 Hrs. of LeMans!
For all of the fancy alignment equipment these days, I never saw so many mis-alignments before. And a botched toe-in is most common. Usually the tires get worn pretty bad before anybody notices.

Old 07-26-2000, 11:44 AM
Cool

In a perfect world - IE - no worn parts - only 3 things will cause excessive tire wear.
1 - under, or over inflaton.
2 - excessive camber, one way or the other.
& 3 - Toe.
Toe in is set to account for wear in tie rod ends, etc. the theory being, that as the vehicle moves the tires "push out" at the forward outer edges, hence, "toe in" to account for this wear.
The alignment shop I used to own had a "spreader bar" that took care of wear, and toe was set at "0".
Granpa - regardless of all the fancy equipment, you still have to have a"good nut" at the end of the wrench!!

------------------
98 F150 S/C 4.6 2wd Vermillion/Silver,HD Tow Pkg, Boards, Vents, Lund Bug Chaser, LaBra Tonneau cover, DIY "breezer" Tailgate, 5th whl hitch, Tool box, 16" OEM Mag's,BEEP,BEEP roadrunner floor mats.
Mobil1 /Wix Oil filter/ K&N / air box mod.
In looks & go - Chevy - like a rock.

Quick Reply: front end alignment