LT and P tire designations

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LT and P tire designations

I was talking to my friend last night who got new tires for his Chevy Silverado (sorry, I know it is a Chevy), and I was wondering what the difference was between "LT" and "P" on the size description of tires. He said that one was truck tires and the other was passenger tires. What are the main differences between these two types of tires? Are there any other types of tires? Just curious, thanks a lot and have a good day.

Old 10-31-2003, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Courtesy of:

http://www.tiresafety.com/

(P) Passenger Tire vs. (LT) Light Truck Tire Construction

- Differences between passenger and light truck construction are due to the different uses and operating conditions of light trucks versus automobiles.

- Light trucks are usually designed to operate in more severe conditions, such as carrying greater loads more of the time and going off-road.

- Light truck tires may have an extra casing ply, an extra belt, a stronger belt steelcord and/or a larger bead with more sidewall rubber.

- This is why light truck tires tend to be heavier than passenger tires.

- Some light truck tires are also capable of higher air pressures and load carrying capacities.

Last edited by rkjerue; 10-31-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:46 PM
The easy answer is LT tires are built heavier and tougher to carry heavier loads under worse travel conditions that a P rated tire. Generally means extra belts and tougher sidewalls. Usually also rated for higher air pressures, depending on the load range. Also means the tire is heavier than a P-series tire in the same size (extra weight needed when balancing (sometimes) and lower fuel economy and extra break wear due to the extra rotating mass.

LT tires can also carry the loaded weight listed on the sidewalls when used in a light truck, a P series tire must have its load rating derated 10%.

The stiffer sidewall gives a stiffer ride - which was VERY noticeable when I replaced my P235/70/16 with LT245/75/16 Load Range C tires. Also exactly what I was lookign for!

Old 11-03-2003, 10:46 AM
Passenger "P" = 35psi max cold (some are higher)
"LT" 6ply load C = 50psi max cold
"LT" 8ply load D = 65psi max cold
"LT" 10ply load E = 80psi max cold

Actual load capacity per tire varies with tire size, tire type, amount of sidewall, and air pressure. You should always check tire manufactures tire specifications.

Last edited by sagittarius1; 11-05-2003 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:45 AM
For some reason I don't understand (?), I want to get a 2nd set of rims (maybe take-offs from a tire and wheel shop) and mount LT tires on my truck for the winter. Want to go a little taller than the current 255/70/16. What would be a good brand and size? I just think, it is a light truck, it should have light truck tires... if that makes any sense... will 245/75's fit the stock rims? So the ride is really that much stiffer? Like over small, sharp bumps?

Old 11-04-2003, 01:35 PM
LT 245/75/16's will fit fine on stock rims. That's what I am running on my '99.

Yes, the tires are noticably stiffer. I'll put it this way, I was planning on getting new shocks. I got new tires first, and found it wasn't the shocks that were the problem - the old P235/70/16's were!

Techincally, you don't NEED LT tires on an F150. The P-series tires they are fitted with are more than adequate to handle the payload of the trucks. The LT tires will provide more room for error as they aren't going to be pushed to their limits in these trucks.

Old 11-05-2003, 12:40 PM
radar_ridr, ..... what gopher said.

You have 4 wheel disk, anti-lock brakes ..... thus you always want all 4 tires the same size, or you will have dangerous handling issues while braking.

245/75's will be about the same size as your 255/70's. You can go up to 265/75R16 on your stock 16x7 wheels (highly recommended!).

The exact tire you need for your driving is up to you, street, all season, all-terrain, off road, ect.

Quick Reply: LT and P tire designations