Tire Pressure Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2000, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Pressure Opinions?

I just did a search, and read through all the posts. I'm still not satisfied. I have the Goodyear 265/70R-17's and they recommend 35 psi. cold. I've been running 42 psi. (front) and 38 psi. (rear) (semi-warm)in 80 - 100 degree weather. That is, until I read through all the previous threads.

It's now 75 degrees, (night-time) and I haven't driven in over an hour...I just set the front tires at 38 psi., and the rears at 36 psi. Does this sound right? It'll be winter soon...will this setup work for the lower temps. too? TIA

-AR

------------------
- 2001 F-150 XLT 4X4 Off-Road, S/C, FS, Black
- 4.6L Triton V8 (20 H.P. Increase)
- 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle
- Keyless
- Premium Audio CD
- Mods.
- K&N Cold Air mod.
- Flowmaster 40 (Stock Setup with 3 1/2" Gibson Tip)
- Bugshield
- Bedliner
- Ventshades

Old 09-08-2000, 07:40 AM
I'd love to give you some advice or an opinion, but I dont understand the question.

First, I'm sorry to see that you have the exact tire ad size that I just got rid of... Those Goodyears are useless! I replaced them with Michelin LTX M/S. Best tire I've ever owned. HUGE difference in wet traction, noise, and ride... Dont hydroplain anymore!

AS for the pressures. You should be doing what the manufacturer says! Its posted on your drivers door. However, I usually run them at 35 all around for better MPG.

For maximum grip, handling, and braking you should do what Ford days!

You said:
"It'll be winter soon...will this setup work for the lower temps. too? "

I fail to see the relevance.
Are you asking because of traction? Or are you talking about temp differences and fluctuations?

Just check them every couple weeks!

----------------------------------
BOTTOM LINE:

Better safety - Use manufacturers specs

Better ride - "ditto"

More MPG (harsher ride) - Max pressure by tire manufacturer

Besta of all worlds - BY A BETTER TIRE!
-------------------

If non of this matters, I KNOW WHERE YOU CAN GET A CHEAP SET OF FIRESTONE WILDERNESS AT's!!!

------------------
Rand

98 Ford Expedition 4X4 XLT
5.4, 3.73s, 17" wheels,
Homemade 3" "COLD" Air-Box
mod, SuperChip, Amsoil
everywhere but tranny, Perma-
Cool combo 6 pass trans/oil
cooler (FQR 5.4 @ 50K)

Old 09-08-2000, 08:46 AM
Talking

-AR

Old 09-08-2000, 10:11 AM
Jackal

This is my experience with the stock Good Years. I live in the tropics, usually 80º to 90º(F). I've been running most of the time 35PSI in the front and 32 PSI in the rear. I've been getting 12-13 MPG in the city, around 14 combined and 15-16 highway. They are two years old and have accumulated 51K miles with five tire rotation. Poor traction. They are almost gone.

Just ordered new tires. Will be here early october.

------------------
1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift and Lift Lips.

See photos at <A HREF="http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

" TARGET=_blank>www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

</A>

[This message has been edited by JMTruck (edited 09-08-2000).]

Old 09-08-2000, 01:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an E-150 van and put some Michelin LTX M/S tires on it ,,HUGE improvement!! Who was the idiot that thought passenger car tires would be good for a 5300 pound conversion van!!LOL.

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk powdercoat
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/RS speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order

Old 09-08-2000, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah those LTXs are sweet

------------------
Truck Pictures
Audio System

99 XLT 5.4L Regular Cab 4x2 120" Wheelbase 4 wheel disc brakes/ABS 5 star larait style wheels Toreador Red/Silver 3.55 gears 275/70/16 Micheln LTX Delta toolbox, Ford Running Boards, Ventshades, Bugflector, Bullrings, Donnelly compass mirror, 2" Rear drop.

54regcab@ifreedom.com

Old 09-08-2000, 11:13 PM
You can't go wrong by using the max tire pressure on the side of the tire. It may be hard, and you might roughen your ride a bit, but you won't hurt your sidewall over a pot-hole.

The BFG P235/75R15 XL (stands for eXtra Load) tires on my Suburban were still fine at trade in with 80K on them (5-tire rotation helped) -- and the max pressure listed was 42.

Your P-series (P as in Passenger car tire) tires are meant for no more than 35 PSI -- and that's where I'd run them - since the carcass isn't meant for XL pressures.

LT (as in Light Truck) tires get really hard -- my LT245/75R15's are max pressure of 65 -- and I don't run the tires at that pressure cuz it loostens the fillings in my teeth.

Despite all the above -- I adjust pressures based on tire wear, when necessary. So far, I'm at 50/50 front/rear.

------------------
Y2K™ Jim

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Opinions?