Hey 2WD owners out there, wet Weather ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey 2WD owners out there, wet Weather ???'s

I have a 98 4.2 2wd 5-speed, I have just moved up to the chicago-area from Florida (Yes I realise how cold it is) Im wondering what everyone does for the winter to keep the rear end from spinning terribly. I realise that first gear will be useless once the ice starts, hell its pretty much worthless now in the rain. Will a few sandbags do the trick? or perhaps I should steal a manhole cover and keep that in the bed? Lets here some realistic and creative ideas

-THX

Old 11-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Get about 4 sand tubes (should be about 50-70lbs a piece). Put em over the rear axle. It will make a MAJOR difference. I ran a '97 2wd around here in Minnesota winters with NO problems.

Other good advice: Make sure you have a good set of tires with good tread left. Personally, I ran good all terrain tires year around, but dedicated snows would do better. All Season tires with good tread (ie: more than half) will also do fine.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:56 PM
FWIW, my original tires were the Generals in 255/70/16 and they were HORRIBLE in bad weather. Worst wet weather tires I've ever driven on. Others have made similar complaints about the stock Goodyears.

If your truck has original tires, any good all season tire will really help.

Old 11-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Just floor it and have fun driving sideways....thats what I do

Old 11-10-2003, 11:30 PM
The sand Bag idea is prolly gonna be the best shot. And if there is n e more slipping, the mash it to the floor would be tons of fun, but for the safety minded, just load up some snow in the rear end, over the bags of sand, and that should help add a little extra weight.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Number 1, give yourself time to learn the feel of driving on snow in it's varoius forms, powder, packed, wet, slushy and of course the deadly stuff ice.
2, you need some weight, as has been written already. My cap is about 150lb. In the winter I add 3, 50lb deck blocks over the axel and pin them down with one of those expandable cargo bars. The deck blocks have 2x4 notches that the bar fits into.
3, Use decent tires. Many have complained about the OEM Wrangler A/P's but I personally have had good service from them. I'm sure there are better ones though. Keep your best tires on the back in the winter.

Always be more concerned about stopping than going. Take your time. And revel in the pleasure of driving that fine vehicle.

Old 11-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Michelin LTX M/S, a very nice tire. Only wish they made it in my size. 275-60-17",,,,98

Old 11-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by 98SCREAMER
Michelin LTX M/S, a very nice tire. Only wish they made it in my size. 275-60-17",,,,98
Ain't that the truth??

Old 11-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I drive an 01 4x2 4.2 5 speed in Wisconsin the last two winters. Keep in mind that Chicago has the equipment to handle the snow so the roads won't be bad very long. They will plow the snow and throw salt down.

A truck is actually very good in the snow if you get some weight on the rear weels because of the ground clearance. In fact, many 4x4 owners run in 4x2 most of the time when it snows because they get better gas milage.

I had 5 sand bags. I would throw two in the back in November, The third in December, and run with four in January. The fifth was in case of a heavy snow storm which we have not had in quite a few years.

I had a rubber mat, and the sand bags were frozen in place by January. I put one against each wheel well, and the other two in between them.

A couple bags of water softner salt works good too, and In spring you can just pour them into your softner, but there is always a puddle of liquid salt under the bags which are not water tight.

I had the General Grabbers on my truck and had no problem. It was leased, and I returned it in a snow storm without the sand bags, and that was a long shakey drive of less than 5 miles.

Old 11-24-2003, 05:03 PM
Thumbs up Weather...

Well.!!! Here goes...

When that snow hits the danger of spinning out is always preasent...

Put a Mini Cooper in the bed and if you get stuck,

you can roll out the Mini...

Haaaaaaaa!!!!!

Quick Reply: Hey 2WD owners out there, wet Weather ???'s