Flush'm Baby

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Flush'm Baby

I had the dealer do brakes all around last year. Supposedly flushed the brake lines but I think they simply bled them a little.

Anyhow, I tow a good sized boat and this summer, I was noticing the peddle would get extra "squishy" in the high heat. I could even hear that "squishshsh" sound when it was really hot whether towing or not when I'd hit the brakes.

So, last weekend I got out and flushed the system and got that dark "coke" out of the lines and res. I knew the fluid looked dark in the res. but couldn't believe how dark and dirty it really was.

So now the res. is clear as a bell and the peddle is much firmer. I can't believe I went that long before spending about $4 and 30 minutes to get my brakes back! 61k miles and who knows how much of what I flushed was original!!!

Old 11-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake fluid rapidly absorbs moisture over time and when brakes heat up the fluid, that moisture turns into trapped steam in the caliper, hence the mushy pedal. Moisture laden fluid also causes corrosion in the calipers and ABS components.

Flushing brakes annually is a critical maintenance item. It saves big bucks in the long run, and as you found out is a safety item. It probably was the orginal fluid! That dealership ought to know they darn near put you in the ditch.

I've been using a Gunson Eezibleed for quite a while.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy01.a...1.x=83&I1.y=79

This tool really makes a complete system flush go very quick. (works great on the F150's clutch too).

Scott D

Last edited by Scott D; 11-07-2003 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Flush'm Baby