Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Winter tires

I thought some of you might be interested in my article on winter tires that appears today in the "Wheels" section of the Ottawa Citizen daily newspaper: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/wheels/001103/4801447.html

------------------
Black 2000 SC short-box XLT. 4.2 V-6, 5-speed, 3.55 limited-slip. CD, remote entry, factory side steps, rear fender inner splash shields (TSB 00-09-05), FORD box liner.

My third F-series. The other two: '73 F-100 Custom, 240 cube 6, 3 on the tree, tan, "West Coast" mirrors, step bumper, knitted vinyl seat, AM radio; and '98 F-150 XL-SC, XLS package, Pacific Green, 4.2 5-speed, 3.55 ls, FM-cassette.

GREAT trucks!

Old 11-04-2000, 12:22 AM
Thumbs up

Hey Shifter -
Great article - reminds me of my good ol' days "In The Valley".
You say that the CTC winter treads are made by "a division of Michelin" (BFG) - I did not know that???
Do you have any info on the CTC "Roughrider A/T's"
I was considering BFG Long Trail A/T, but CTC has the sale out here on their Roughriders - Cool Price

Thanks - keep "pennin" good stuff

------------------
98 F150 S/C 4.6 2wd 50yr. Anniv. edition Vermillion/Silver,HD Tow Pkg, Boards, Vents, Lund Bug Chaser, LaBra Tonneau cover, DIY "breezer" Tailgate, 5th whl hitch, Tool box, 16" OEM Mag's,- Bosch +4's BEEP,BEEP roadrunner floor mats.
Mobil 1 /Ford Oil filter/ K&N / air box mod.
In looks & go - Chevy - like a rock.

Old 11-04-2000, 10:46 PM
Glad you liked the article, roadrunner. Sorry, but I don't have any info on the Roughriders except the guy from Canadian Tire that I quote in the article has a '98 F-150 SC. He can put on anything he wants because he's the service manager and he had Roughriders on for a while. However, he took them off when they were still like new and told me they ride very rough indeed, too rough for him, being LT tires. Now, he has some sort of larger (255 X 70s) but of the "P" variety and he says they are much better. Mind you, he doesn't tow or haul anything that I'm aware of, and you do, as I recall.

I've seen the TAs and I like them, but in the standard 235 X 70 size they seem to me a little small, slightly smaller than my Firestones in the same size. I might be wrong. I'd probably go for the TAs in a 255 size next time, for summer use.

------------------
Black 2000 SC short-box XLT. 4.2 V-6, 5-speed, 3.55 limited-slip. CD, remote entry, factory side steps, rear fender inner splash shields (TSB 00-09-05), FORD box liner.

My third F-series. The other two: '73 F-100 Custom, 240 cube 6, 3 on the tree, tan, "West Coast" mirrors, step bumper, knitted vinyl seat, AM radio; and '98 F-150 XL-SC, XLS package, Pacific Green, 4.2 5-speed, 3.55 ls, FM-cassette.

GREAT trucks!

Old 11-06-2000, 04:50 PM
I've got GoodYear Wrangler AT/S tires on my f150 and my wifes full size Blazer. They have an agressive tread with two agressive water channels on eather side of the middle. I love'm. Our house is down a hill with a 30 degree grade and there are times when we can get 6 inches of snow. I don't always feel like removing it if it snows over night so we stick it in four wheel and go, no slipping or slidding, they have a great bit.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. OK I'll keep my day job.

------------------
BIG BLACK TRUCK
1997 XLT 4x4 4.6

Old 11-08-2000, 12:42 AM
Shifter - FYI -
The tire guy out here looked in his book & said the Roughriders were made by Goodyear.
I have ordered 245/75/16 BFG Long Trail T/A's - shopped around & got best deal - plus the guy will take in my F/stones (not recalled) & give me a few bucks.
I got the "E" rated - probably be a little firm - but I tow a 5th wheel & want the sidewall strength. Thanks for the info.
RR

------------------
98 F150 S/C 4.6 2wd 50yr. Anniv. edition Vermillion/Silver,HD Tow Pkg, Boards, Vents, Lund Bug Chaser, LaBra Tonneau cover, DIY "breezer" Tailgate, 5th whl hitch, Tool box, 16" OEM Mag's,- Bosch +4's BEEP,BEEP roadrunner floor mats.
Mobil 1 /Ford Oil filter/ K&N / air box mod.
In looks & go - Chevy - like a rock.

Old 11-08-2000, 11:19 AM
Good luck with those tires, roadrunner. How about posting back in a new thread what you think about the Long Trails?

Old 11-08-2000, 02:11 PM
If anyone is looking for a good winter tire I would reccommend Uniroyal Laredo M/Ts. I got a set and they are awesome. They clean well and cut down to hard ground (if there is any).

Quick Reply: Winter tires