best all-around AT tires????

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 11:59 PM
Location: the great stinkin' desert national monument and nuclear waste dump
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question best all-around AT tires????

I am going to get a new rig (yeah, I know you have heard me say that before, but I gotta put this F150online.com sticker on something!!!) and will want to get better rubber for it. I do some off-roading, nothing radical but I do get into some sand, mud, sharp basalt and shale, washboard gravel. On highway your everyday stuff, esp ice and snow and some rain. Not much of that here in the Great Stinkin' Desert. Good traction plus good ride characteristics are important.

The rig I will get will be XLT SC short box 4.6L(?) 4x4 auto. Will probably not have the ORP though I do like the wheels. It will have stock tires and wheels.

I have read here folks like the pirelli scorpion A/T and the Bridgestone Dueller A/T (costco has those)(dont really want tires from the people who brought us Firestone). I prefer coopers. What other tires do you all like???

--karl

Old 12-14-2000, 12:31 AM
BFG KOs baby

------------------
1997 F-150 Lariat
Ext Cab Short Box
4x4 Off Road Package
3.55 Gears
265/75 R16 Uniroyal Laredo M/Ts

My 2 cents worth
Remember:
If you're gonna stroke it, POWERSTROKE IT!!!

Old 12-14-2000, 12:58 AM
BFG K/O's. I'm on my second set, love them.

Old 12-14-2000, 12:59 AM
I love my pireli scorpion at tires.No problems in anything I have encountered yet.(rain,snow,slush,washboard gravel,no mud,no sand )Have a buddy who has the bridgestone dueler at.Great tires, excellent on all driving surfaces.He got 48,000 miles on them before it was time for new ones.They are a little bit pricey and thats why I got the scorpions.The bfgs are also a good choice.

Old 12-14-2000, 01:10 AM
Question

I checked the bfgoodrichtire site, nothing about a tire called a K/O. Hate to sound ignurunt but which tire are we talking about here????

Ok, I see it there in the <fine print> the all-terrian ko (in very small print). is that the one???

--karl

Old 12-14-2000, 01:34 AM
Question

about the pirelli's--they have several scorpion models, which ones are we talking about here??

--karl

Old 12-14-2000, 10:43 AM
Smile

Karl, I just put a set of Cooper A/T's on my F-150. (I replaced those worthless GY's that came on the truck-- someone bought my old tires and wheels). Anyway, got home that same evening and lo and behold the new Consumer Reports in my mailbox was rating these tires among other SUV tires. Their testing rated these as the best snow traction among those tested. I was amazed at my luck. I have been happy with them so far -- We had 8 inches of snow yesterday -- and they were super -- I even tried then w/o the 4X4 engaged, and they pulled thru uphill without so much as spinning a wheel -- (I do have LS) There is no comparison of these to those stock GY's. The only disses: Just a tiny bit noisyer(sp?)
and the only dis that Consumer Repors said was they "were the worst of those tested on dry pavement braking on vehicles with NO ABS"
I figure my 150 has ABS --- so what the heck!
One more thing -- the truck seems to have a little more rolling resistance-- probably due to the fact that the Coopers are 10ply truck tires and the GY's were 4 ply car tires.

------------------
99 F-150 XLT 4X4, SC, SB, AT, 5.4, Single CD
3.55LS, Tow pkg, Rhino Liner, Sportsman topper,
Westin black double step bars, Custom gold pinstripe, Bright Red/Gold

Old 12-14-2000, 10:56 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Karl, I will be looking at the Dunlop Radial Rover for my next set. They seem to have good mix of price/performance and come in a wide range of sizes.

Old 12-14-2000, 11:17 AM
Question

Mark, exactly which coopers are we talking about??? I have had about 5 or 6 sets on coopers on all of my rides over the last 8 years and I really like them.

Are they the disco HT?? Did you put LT-series on your truck?? I have the disco LT's on my jeep. Just put the disco HT's (P-series) on the wifes jeep.

I gotta tell ya, when I was doing british cars way back when I had put both pirelli's and dunlops on my mgb, they were gar-bage. Hated them with a passion. Tread separation??? Makes firestone look like michelin. No way I would touch them again, then, maybe they changed their ways.

I'm pretty happy with coopers.

--karl

Old 12-14-2000, 11:45 AM
Talking

Karl, they are the Cooper Discoverer A/T's (AT is what they are called -- I called my tire dealer and he said this tread design has been out just under a year) A co-worker saw mine and put a set on his Chevy -- only complaint was that they threw alot of mud on his truck-- Duh - I think thats good -- as in self cleaning. He needs bigger fender flares.
Type in Cooper Discoverer AT in a search engine (I like Google) and you will find pictures of them! -- Good luck!!

------------------
99 F-150 XLT 4X4, SC, SB, AT, 5.4, Single CD
3.55LS, Tow pkg, Rhino Liner, Sportsman topper,
Westin black double step bars, Custom gold pinstripe, Bright Red/Gold

Old 12-14-2000, 01:52 PM
Talking

Thanks,, Mark, you know, I have seen the coopers in the tire shop. I was concerned about snow building up in what look like channels in the center of the tread. Guess that really isnt a problem!!!

I'll check them out more and get a price when I take the wifes jeep in for tire rotation in a few days.

I'll check out the bfg's dont think there is a bfg dealer here in the great stinkin'. I know, I can get them on-line...but I like to get personal with my tires before I buy them. It's weird, I know....

--karl

Old 12-14-2000, 06:53 PM
Exclamation

Karl:Look at Michelin LTX AT LT sizes. They ride VERY smooth and QUITE for an all terrain AT. I had BF's on before but they will make more noise and do not have the all around traction of the Mich. They cost the same but the Michelin is THE best of all worlds. Try them you will like them.

Old 12-14-2000, 07:09 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks Yankee I will price them out. I did nearly put them on my jeep first time 'round in '95 when I bought it but the price was a bit steep.

Mark, I stopped by my cooper shop, looked at the disco a/t's, priced out at $400 for a set of four, mounted and balanced etc. not bad! Dont remember what size, but I told him stock and he is a ford guy so he oughtta know.

--k

Old 12-14-2000, 08:31 PM
Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain is what I brought up.My right rear just took a dump on me- I noticed a screw sticking out of it along with the hissing sound that can only mean one thing.Trip to the tire shop in the morning.Oh well these things happen to any tire. I got them for around $ 420 out the door from sears.I just had a thought Try www.pepboys.com They have tires cheap, that seem to work just fine for 40,000 miles.

[This message has been edited by lightningcrashz (edited 12-15-2000).]

Old 12-15-2000, 12:02 AM
These tires have been pretty good for me!

------------------
Supercrew 4x4 Lariat
Solid Black
5.4 Triton
3.55 Limited Slip
6750# GVWR Package
Skid Plates
Moon Roof
Sliding Rear Window
Trailer Tow - Class III
Cargo Cage
Grey Leather Captains Chairs
6-Disc CD Changer

Mods:
305/70/16 ATS, AR Atlas 16x8
Chrome Westin Steps

Planned: Dual Exhaust, Toneau Cover and Expedition Console Mod.

Another great Ford truck site -www.fseries.com

Truck Pictures

Quick Reply: best all-around AT tires????