Emergency brake locked in unlock position

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency brake locked in unlock position

Well to start off with I have an '86 Ford f-150 302 EFI 4X4m front discs and rear drums. The emergency brake the pedal is extremely hard to push, so I look underneath and the cable on the left rear brake isnt pulling but the one on the right is... where should I begin? pull the drum? what am I looking for, any help would be appreciated as I have never done drum brakes before...

Old 11-19-2003, 06:40 PM
I have seen those cables rust together solid. I can not remember for sure but there should be a shackle adjustment that can be loosened. Spray in down well with any anti-rust spray if possible. Once the cable is loose you can check to see where the hang is, say the cable is loose and the pedal not works brakes are still locked. Pull the rear wheels and check the brake attachment of the cable. to see where it is frozen.

We have worked them loose in the past but it was work , a few local roofers have quite a few of those trucks with over 200 K on them and they are rusting away but the 302 v8 engines are still running fine.

We just order the whole cable kit and replace it all with new rear brakes as well.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Ok Ill try and spray some wd-40 and liquid wrench down there... the right e-brake works just fine but the left won't pull at all... yeah the 302 is a great engine I have well over 200k the only problem is the ebrake and theres rust over the rear wheel wells...

Quick Reply: Emergency brake locked in unlock position