LT tires vs P tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LT tires vs P tires

Can someone explaine to me why Ford puts Passenger tires on the Supercrew rather that (LT) light truck tires. I have been told that LT tires improves handling and performance when hauling and towing. I will be replacing the tires on my Supercrew sometime next spring, and am thinking on changing to LT tires instead. I notice that passenger tires are not an option on the F250 and the F350.

Old 11-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Ride Comfort

The LT tires have a sitffer sidewall than the P tires. This means you get to "feel" the road much more than the softer sidewalls on the P tires. I notice every bump, line, hole, etc, etc, etc...in the road with my LT tires. I hate that. I am going to be going the other direction when I wear out my General Grabbers. I am thinking of going to a Bridgestone Dueler H/L.

Old 11-26-2003, 11:05 AM
P tires are put on F150's at the factory because they are cheaper than LT tires and have cushion for a more car-like ride. For a street truck P tires are fine, but for firmer handling, and safer handling when loaded down, LT tires are the way to go.

When my stock, 35psi max cold, P tires wore out I switched to a Load C, 6 ply, 50psi max cold, LT tire, that fit on the stock 16x7 rims. When empty I have the rear at 40psi and front at 45psi for a softer ride. When loaded up and or towing i pump up the tires to 50 all around. LT tires belong on full size F150's, JMHO, just choose the one that fits your trucks use.

P passenger 35psi max cold(most P tires, not all)
LT load C 6 ply 50psi max cold
LT load D 8 ply 65psi max cold
LT load E 10ply 80psi max cold

Old 11-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Ride Comfort

Originally posted by Spirit_1100
The LT tires have a sitffer sidewall than the P tires. This means you get to "feel" the road much more than the softer sidewalls on the P tires. I notice every bump, line, hole, etc, etc, etc...in the road with my LT tires. I hate that. I am going to be going the other direction when I wear out my General Grabbers. I am thinking of going to a Bridgestone Dueler H/L.
Concur with above
My truck came with Wrangler APs.
I had them for 73,000 miles.
I know my truck, I am very aware of the feel and handling.
I put on Michelin LTX M/S tires.
Ride is noticably stiffer.
The truck actually squeaked for the first 100 miles after the change. I guess 'whatever' was squeaking settled in after that.

Another thing, I went from P255/70/16 to P265/70/16.
That seemed like a small change to me but, the half inch diff coupled with the inch of tread that was probably missing from the old tires(half inch all around would be an inch diameter) and with the new tires the truck accelerates like I've got a load of bricks in the bed.

Another thing, bought the tires out of state.
Drove 632 miles to NY on old tires.
Same route back home was 608 miles.

and I guess my speed odometer is off or all of sudden every driver on the road has become a law abiding citizen.

Quick Reply: LT tires vs P tires