Spare Tire FELL OFF

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Spare Tire FELL OFF

Just wanted to warn others of a pending problem with our trucks. Especially those who live in the northern states where SALT is used on the roads. Watch out for your spare tire support cable. Mine broke off the other night and the tire dropped off into traffic. Thankfully no one hit it. I wonder has this happened to anyone else? Will Ford replace this under the rust thru warranty?

------------------
98 F150 4x4
93 SVT Cobra #2205
91 Harley Davidson Custom

Old 01-22-2001, 11:43 AM
funny! sorry, but that is common.

Unless your spare tire is held on with a metal bar like the rangers and older F150s, you need to get a lock and cable and go from the frame, thru the wheel and out the other side to the frame again. Cheap insurance your tire will be there if you need it.

Old 01-22-2001, 08:07 PM
Ouch

I better go check mine,

Thanks for the 411

Old 01-22-2001, 09:14 PM
It didn't happen exactly like that, but I got a flat on the side of he road and tried to get my spare off, but it wouldn't budge! The cable licked, leaving me on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire and an unreacheable spare. Take it to ford, it is under warranty, and they will replace the whole device for free.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1999 super cab
white with tan bottom
automatic
4.6L v8
WAAG grillguard
2 KC daylighters
vampire remote start combo alarm
steelhorse nerf bars
Husky chrome toolbox
2 10" Cerwin Vega subs
pyramid 800w amp
4 pioneer 3 way 6x8's
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wants: 2 chamber flowmaster dual exhaust
fender flares
american racing atlas
2" fabtech suspension leveling kit

Old 01-23-2001, 12:50 AM
let this also serve as a reminder to us who still have our spare tires, to grease the cable a few times a year, to keep it protected from Dr. Rust.

I've seen one of these things bounce off a truck on the highway, and it can be awfully dangerous.

------------------
Bambino Online
Owners Gallery Truck #179
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; twin 6" kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust

Old 02-12-2001, 07:13 PM
SORRY, IT HAPPENS EVEN TO RANGERS, WE WERE OUT JUMPING IN BUEAMONT CALI WITH MY FRIENDS RANGER AND THE METAL HINGE BROKE RIGHT OF THE TRUCK. IT SOUNDED LIKE A GUN SHOT. THEY ALL BREAK I THINK.

Old 02-12-2001, 09:36 PM
Banned
i have mine locked and chained under there. cant get it out without the key

------------------
'97 XLT Clearcoat Red 4x2
17 inch Wheels,Stepside, K&N,bedliner, 32 inch tires, flowmasters, deep tint, big Ford oval on back window, 5 spd, platinum plugs, CB, hidden hitch, ford emblem hitch cover and a little wal-mart smiley face on the antenna wearing a coboy hat :-)

http://www.my-f150.com/waldo0506

Trending Topics

Old 02-16-2001, 07:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Waldo, Mine was locked up there too (on my 97).... they got it with a bolt cutter.... I had the Factory Aluminum one for a spare too.... rotten bastards. Thr truck was 2 weeks old when it happened... got it right out in front of work, in a "guarded" high-traffic lot in broad daylight! I couldn't believe it! Finally, I got a spare tire lock that slides down into the hole so they couldn't crank the cable down... I don't know if you could get up there with a pair of wire cutters.. I'm going to look in the morning... But Ford sells a McGard Spare Tire Lock for about $19 I believe... I'll never go without one!

-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!Clear Corners, Manik Stainless Steel 1-piece brush guard, Custom CB wiring, Uniden PC76-XLW CB radio with K-40 Magna-Mount antenna (for now), 1 set of 165 watt KC Daylighters (for now... more on the way) Custom switch mounting plate and overhead console, Bully Stainless Steel Trailer hitch drawbarw/ 2" stainless steel ball.
List of planned mods: Clear tails, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, spray in liner, and a tonneau of some sort...

93 Probe GT teal, OE rims painted to match, bone stock drivetrain.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire FELL OFF