Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tire pressure

I recently took delivery of a F-150 2001 SuperCrew Lariat truck. Upon delivery I checked the tire pressure, which was 44 psi,
however, the maximum pressure on the tire is 35 psi. I contacted the salesperson, who comfirmed that the pressure was correct. I was not satisfied with the answer and took it to the highest level of management and after checking their records, they indicated the pressure should read 38 psi. and I should disregard the pressures listed ion the inside of the truck's door, which by the way are much lower thus, i beleave will also have an impact at the mpg. Can someone please let me know, who is correct? Thanks a lot.

Old 02-18-2001, 11:34 PM
check the sidewall it should state the correct tire pressure. bob long

Old 02-19-2001, 01:17 PM
01X
Roger, I have a 2001 x and i run 35 psi checked in the morning before driving. When the tire gets warmed up it has about 45 psi. I have put 38 psi to get a little less bulge and the ride was bouncy.
As far as the tire pressure on your truck the higher pressure will result in a bumpier ride and will essentially wear the center of the tire unevenly if the pressure is to high.
Ford is probably still concerned about the blow outs this past summer due mostly to underinflation and the heat buildup and tire failure that resulted from that. I have a work truck that i pull a trailer with and i run 45 psi. checked cold so that the 4 ply tires do not bulge so much. I have run as much as 50 psi. under extreme loads. Never had a problem but the ride was rough as hell.
I would just mess around with the tire pressure between 35 & 45 psi. and see which ride you like best. Check the footprint of the tire and make sure that the tire tread is setting evenly on the ground. Also keep a eye out for tire wear and change accordingly.
If all else fials go with the recommended tire pressure on the tire. If it is not a load range D or E tire the rating should be 35 For the D & E it will be upwards of 45 to a max of 85, i think.
Just do not get the tire under 35 psi. or you will run the rist of excessive heat build up in the tire which could lead to tire failure.

Old 02-19-2001, 09:45 PM
Okay, I thought I would throw in my $0.02 worth:

Ford puts the tire pressures inside the door jam for a reason. Not to cover their a$$ but to give the consumer the correct air pressure for the tires the engineers spec'ed for the truck.

I would stick with the door jamb pressure unless you have it under a better source that a different tire pressure is beneficial.

--- no flames here ---

------------------
Supercrew 4x4 Lariat
Solid Black , 5.4 Triton, 3.55 Limited Slip, 6750# GVWR Package, Skid Plates, Moon Roof, Sliding Rear Window, Trailer Tow - Class III, Cargo Cage, Grey Leather Captains Chairs, 6-Disc CD Changer

Mods:
305/70/16 Goodyear ATS
American Racing Atlas 16x8
Chrome Westin Steps
Flowmaster, Delta Flow 50 SI/DO
Cranked Torsion Bars 1"
Mobil 1 @ 1,000 miles

Planned:
Toneau Cover
Expedition Console Mod.

Another great Ford truck site -www.fseries.com

Truck Pictures