I need a brake job

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a brake job

Allready put another set of motorCRAP pads on at 38000 miles and had the original rotors turned then. Now im at 51000 and this thing shakes like a dog ****ting a peach seed. I want to fix this thing once and for all or at least for a long time.

Can slotted rotors be turned?

Will aftermarket brembo rotors (non slotted or drilled) hold up better w/o warping than the originals?

What pads do you guys reccommend?

Im sure the 33'' tires add to the stress on the system but ive got to get it taken care of and it has to last.

Thanks for the input...Gordon

Old 12-04-2003, 03:10 AM
If you haven't read this thread yet there's good reading there.

Basically drilled and/or slotted rotors would be good for your application (large tires).

From what I understand rotors don't actually "warp" but the metal changes by extreme heat (hot spots) that change the metal composition of the rotor which in turn makes parts of the disc have more friction than other parts and this is what you feel as "warped".

Old 12-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
Rotors can indeed warp. This can be measured with a runout guage. Hot spots are another common problem that gives the same feel through the pedal as you have described.

I went through several sets of rotors on my wife's 98 Contour fighting warping every few months.

I finally ponied up $110 each for cryo-treated rotors for her car. It's been six months with ceramic pads and no evidence of a re-ocurrance of warping.

Steve

Old 12-04-2003, 01:19 PM
I should have rephrased that, they can warp but 9 times out of 10 I understand it's not runout but changes in the metal structure.

I've been thinking about cryo treatment myself. Need to find someone in Canada who does it.

Quick Reply: I need a brake job