The more I read the more confused I get

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more I read the more confused I get

I swear, the more I read the more muddled things get. I'm having a 3" body lift done to my 01 Screw 4x4 on Thursday/Friday. I'm also going to do something with the wheels/tires. I have a guy at Discount getting a 17x10 wheel to mount one of my 265/70/17 Michelins on to see what it looks like since the tires are very new (6 months). I had decided, based on what I've read here, that if I liked it, I'd go with it for now, and that if I didn't like the look, I'd go ahead and spring for 16x10 wheels and 285/75/16 Michelins and take what he gave me for the ones I have and try to sell the chrome stock wheels. Upon further reading, I see that people are really unhappy with the mileage and performance of the jump in tires, and that it won't shift properly with the larger tires. Wandell and Cdiddy haven't mentioned anything about that. So... I'm wondering what you think since you have the setup and the same truck (5.4 with 3.55 LS). I'm about to spend over a grand on this ( not to mention the lift) and don't want to be devastated. Sorry for the length of this.

Old 01-21-2004, 07:44 AM
Bigger Sneakers for your Screw

Hey SLarson;

I've got the same setup so for starters save your money on the body lift and just get you're self some bigger beef for your stock 17x8 rims.

I'm running 33x12.5R17 procomps on my 01 Screw 4x4 with no body or suspension lift on the stock 17x8 rims. I had to do some minor triming of the drivers side wheel well plastic, but very minor. It would rub when I turned the wheel completely to the left. other than that nothing else has ever rubbed or given me a problem.

Also on the the milage and shifting. with out making any computer changes you will notice that it seams to shift early especialy into OD.

I'm personnally getting ready to do a Superchips tune on the truck to get back some of the performance and to adjust the shift point for 1st and OD more than likely.

So save your money get the bigger beef and go with your stock setup on lift and rims.

Old 01-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really didn't notice any difference in performance or shifting and I went from a 30 inch tire (255/70-16) to a 33 inch tire (285/75-16). I doubt if you notice any difference since you are talking about going from a 32 inch tire (265/70-17) to a 33 inch tire.

Old 01-21-2004, 08:44 AM
I can tell a difference between the 275/60/17's and 265/70/17's. The truck seems to shift later and is a little more sluggish. Not a huge amount, but enough that I can notice. The 265's are 1.7 inches taller than the 275's.

2001 4x2 Supercab Flareside w/5.4 and 3.55LS

MAC intake in the front and FM40 out the back.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:07 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The percieved feelings by going up in tire size (and more importantly, weight) vary by how one drives. I demand a lot out of my vehicles and I notice exactly how my vehicles perform, and any differences that arise. Others, not so much. I do a lot of highway driving, both inner-city on my commute, 1-hour trips within SE Michigan, and also longer highway weekend trips. I notice the performance difference less around town which many people only do. Many people also do not crusie at 80mph on the highway, which is common in Michigan. The bottom line is that everyone's situation is different.

BTW, I would not want a 265 wide tire on a 10" rim. The conversion of 265mm is only 10.4 inches. No protection for the rim, and it would look very weird. If you only want to go to 285/70R17, you might as well save your money and stick to the OEM rims.

Also, note my comment about tire weight. Most people are used to the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tire which weighs on the order of 25 pounds. The heavy duty LT rated BFG AT of the same size probalby weighs 7pounds more and the 285 is probably 10 pounds more. 40 additional pounds of payload is not a big deal, but as inertia on a spinning wheel, it affects the power more than if it were in the back of the truck.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm primarily doing the lift because I like the way Wandell's and Cdiddy's trucks look. I really don't need the extra space in the fenderwell. Given the info you guys have stated, I think I'll probably go with the lift because I want the look, and probably the 16x10 and 285's since I spend about all my life on the pavement and don't tow anything anymore. I'll look at the mileage and performance if it becomes a problem. Superchips might be interesting, although I have no idea what it costs. Thanks again.

Old 01-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Superchips on online store

I got my SuperChips tuner from the F150online store for about $361. I'm going to try to sneek out of the office today and see if I can get it installed. I'll let you know.

Trending Topics

Old 01-21-2004, 02:36 PM
Talking Superchips tune

Ok it's done......and I like it....

I still have about half a tank of the cheap stuff (87octane)....Plus just topped it off with 93 so I wont see all the performance increase until it gets to the motor.

BUT...I can already see a difference under normall to moderate acceleration...

It rev's higher..going up to 3K before justing, plus when I accelarate at speed it doesn't jump all the way done to 2nd. it will go from OD to 3rd.

just from my little trip up to the gas station i'd say it was worth the money.

Quick Reply: The more I read the more confused I get