Ideas wanted for cleaning aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-1999, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas wanted for cleaning aluminum wheels

I have aftermarket aluminum wheels. They have tarnished since installation. I tried some elbow grease and Meguir's, this worked to some degree, however, lot's of work. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Has anyone tried TarnX?

------------------
99 SC 4X4 5.4 ORP 3.73LS Lariat Black over Gold on Tan.
Mods-K&N FIPK,Superchip,Dual Flowmasters,Westin Nerf Bars, 305/70/16 GY M/T's

[This message has been edited by BJohnston (edited 06-29-1999).]

Old 06-30-1999, 12:27 AM
I have tried Tarnx on silver rings and stuff and it works awesome. Would I try putting it on my wheels? I don't think so. It is an Interesting idea though. i use some stuff called Blue Magic on my centerlines and it is the best stuff that I have used to polish just about anything. You can buy it at pep boys. But it is still kind of a chore. But the wheels look nice again for about three months. oh well thats what i use let us know what happens if you try the tarnx.

Old 06-30-1999, 06:10 PM
I use Blue Magic on my Polished American Racing Atlas wheels and it works great. I bought some buffing pads to use in my drill and that really gets the nasty stuff off. I've found that once every two months or so I'll use the drill and really hit them hard. Then every other week after washing it I just rub Blue Magic on and wipe if off not much buffing. That seems to keep them looking great. I do wash my truck more than most people, can't stand driving in a dirty truck.

------------------
----------
dseibert,
'97 XLT S/C, 4.6L, 3-4 Bell Tech Drop, K&N, Leer Cap, 17" American Racing wheels
Dark Toreador Red...you know Maroon!
(see page 5 of the Owner's Gallery bottom picture)

Old 06-30-1999, 11:28 PM
Is your exhaust in front of or behind the right rear wheel?

Old 07-04-1999, 07:14 AM
Doc-Ford,

My exhaust is in front of the wheel (for now). I do have to polish the rear passenger side wheel more often than the others. It gets a haze from the exhaust and isn't as bright as the others. My new exhaust will without a doubt go behind the rear wheel.

------------------
----------
dseibert,
'97 XLT S/C, 4.6L, 3-4 Bell Tech Drop, K&N, Leer Cap, 17" American Racing wheels

Old 07-09-1999, 03:04 AM
Smile

Want to try something cheap and unusual to clean your wheels? Try Coke! yes, good old Coca Cola and and a stiff toothbrush. I had buildup and greenish tarnish on my centercap and wheel (steel painted), and I tried everything from varsol, to a bunch of nasty cleaners, to MEK, which is really nasty stuff. Nothing worked. I then tried a bit of Coke, and scrubbed the tarnish, it came off like magic! Nice shiny chrome now. No guarantees it'll work as well for you, but it sure did for me. Now I can't fugure out whether to give up drinking the stuff, or guzzle more to keep my gizzard clean...

Old 07-10-1999, 10:51 AM
Lightbulb

Your problem is that the exhaust is running in front of the rear wheel. You mentioned you were going to add aftermarket behinfd the wheel exhaust.

Here is a better option. I had the same problem, which destroyed a $300 Weld Wheel. I took the truck to Ford. They moved the exhaust to the back (Free) cost them $286 and cut me a check for a new wheel, center cap, mounting and balancing $366 yesterday.

This way you get ford to replace your wheel for you.

Good Luck

------------------
1997 Lariat 4x4, red/silver, 5.4, 4" Rancho Suspension with RS 5000's, 3" Body Lift,
Bedliner, Alpine Head Unit and EQ, Rockfor Fosgate and Precision Power Amps, 10" Bazooka, Bugdeflector,
16.5x9.75 Welds, 35x12.50x16.5, Superchip and K&N Filter

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-1999, 08:35 PM
Banned
DOC FORD DO U HAVE PICS OF YOUR TRUCK?
AND PICS OF THE EQ I WANT TO SEE HOW THE EQ LOOKS I WAS THINKING OF GETTING ONE I HAVE A ALPINE STEREO.

Old 07-13-1999, 06:35 PM
Smile

That is a great idea Doc-Ford and I did think about doing that even went so far as to talk to my Ford dealer about it. But them my wife asked me if that is what I really wanted. I said no I want the truck to rumble a bit. So she said I should do what I want or I won't be happy. So maybe next year I'll put on a new custom exhaust. It's nice having your wife talk you into spending money..especially on your truck!!

------------------
dseibert,
'97 XLT S/C, 4.6L, 3-4 Bell Tech Drop, K&N Filter and Air Box Mod, Leer Cap,
17" AR Atlas wheels w/255/55/17 front, 275/60/17 rear.

Old 07-14-1999, 05:34 PM
Cool

My exhaust is also my problem it comes out in front of the rear wheel and it sucks BIG TIME. Man does that 97 exhaust really screw up my right rear centerline. I Just got married though so don't have the flow for a whole new exhaust system that I want. So ford is putting on a new exhaust for me for free. Then I plan to have that nice new muffler cut off and put a flowmaster on so i'll get a little rumble Too. Maybe add a cool looking tip too.

Old 07-16-1999, 04:25 PM
In response to your requests. My truck can be found at http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~jdd44064
The picture shown doesn't have the body lift installed nor the EQ, but as soon as I develop the film. I'll put it up.

I just ordered my new WELD wheel. Can't wait for a shiny new one.

------------------
1997 Lariat 4x4, red/silver, 5.4, 4" Rancho Suspension with RS 5000's, 3" Body Lift,
Bedliner, Alpine Head Unit and EQ, Rockfor Fosgate and Precision Power Amps, 10" Bazooka, Bugdeflector,
16.5x9.75 Welds, 35x12.50x16.5, Superchip and K&N Filter

Quick Reply: Ideas wanted for cleaning aluminum wheels