aluminum wheel corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-1999, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post aluminum wheel corrosion

I have a '97 F150 Lariet with stock aluminum wheels. On the leading edges of the spokes the clear coat is coming off. Where the coating is gone corrosion has started to form. Took it to the dealer (truck's still under waranty) and was told I must have run through something that reacted to the coating. My tough luck. Anybody else had this problem? Anybody know of a fix? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 08-11-1999, 10:03 AM
Burrhead
Is it just on the passenger side? If so I believe 97 had the side exhaust and that could be your problem.

------------------
Nastruck1-4.6-377s-Superchip-K&N GenII-Dynomax RaceMag With Roush tips-MPC bug shield-40-60 black tint windows-class3 drawbar hitch.Polk speakers.

Old 08-11-1999, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your reply lovell1. It's on all four wheels. BTW, I don't know if it matters but these are the 6 spoke cast aluminum wheels. JB

[This message has been edited by burrhead (edited 08-11-1999).]

Old 08-13-1999, 10:13 AM
burrhead

I have the plastic covers on my wheels, and with a 97 ext. cab, the exhaust also came out on the passenger side, in front of the rear tire. The hot exhaust almost melted away the finish on both of the hub and wheel cover. I had the dealer replace the damaged pieces AND install a 98 exhaust on my 97(comes out the rear). They were reluctant to do so, but I asked them if they wanted me coming back every year to have the same thing done??? They called Dearborn MI and all was done to my satisfaction. Now if only I could end my leaky rear window problems....

Quick Reply: aluminum wheel corrosion