15 x 8

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-1999, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 15 x 8

I've been looking around town for rims but the kind I like are 15 x 8. Is there a major difference compared to the 16 x 8? Would it be a good idea to switch to this size? It might save some gas but what about safety?

Thanks

------------------
97 GREEN 4x2, 4.6L, S/C, Flareside
Mods: Westin chrome nerf bars, GTS bug deflector, 3 inch tapered body lift, 285 75 16's on stock rims, Super Chipped, Bilsteins Shocks, Flowmaster 50 series, Air Raid Filter, PLAT +4 Plug’s, Bedliner

Next: HEADERS

Old 07-30-1999, 11:41 AM
Sidestep,

I do not beleive that you can use 15inch rims on your truck. You will run into clearance problems between the rotors and the rim. You could also have some potential problems getting the appropriate backspacing. Typically you can go bigger but not smaller.

Ok, now I'm doubting myself. I seem to remember in 96/97 one of the fourwheel drive mags did an article about a Superlift suspension lift(first available lift for new f-series trucks) and I think they switched to 15 inch rims for better tire availabilty. I tried to find the article in my extensive collection of mags but couldn't find it. I think it was Peterson's 4Wheel & Offroad.

So maybe it is possible. Anybody else have any comments?

Todd

------------------
93 F-150 4x2, 4.9L, E-4OD, 3.08 rearend, K&N Airfilter. (Other mods to follow)

[This message has been edited by Todd Adams (edited 07-31-1999).]

Old 08-21-1999, 03:20 PM
I remember when our style trucks first came out, that Kicker audio lifted a 97' SC. flareside. They used 15" wheels, they were fully reversed, and they also used spacers and still had to grind off some of the calipers. They said that there is pletty of caliper to do so, but ther's no in hell I would do it. Also Eagle makes a 15" wheel that is supposed to clear everything with no modifications. I learned this at Discount Tire , the stlye number is the 1189. Hope this helps ya out.

------------------
99' supercab ORP, double tube chrome roll bars, 4 KC longe range lights, Westin nerf bars, Dual exhaust,Blackouts, Kenwood cd, 12" Orion subs, Orion 2150 amp, K&N

Old 08-21-1999, 11:54 PM
Prime makes a 15" wheel that will fit our trucks. There is a picture of a F150 with these wheels in the owner's gallery, but I can't remember what page. The only problem is they stick out really far so they clear the calipers.