Could someone help me? (Supercrew rotor question)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone help me? (Supercrew rotor question)

Im going to do my front brakes on Sunday and was wondering if anyone could give me some helpful hints that they have experienced while doing a brake job on their 02 Screw?

You know the times when you say to yourself "If I only I had known this I would have done it a different way."

I am pretty mechanically inclined but I just want to know if there is anything I need to watch out for or specialized tools I need?

I appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Avoid problems later by cleaning and lubing the caliper sliders when you are doing the job. They have a habit of getting sticky and not allowing the caliper to recenter itself properly after you release the brake. takes almost no time to do and use very little high temp grease.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:04 AM
Just did mine yesterday. Have a 2002 Screw 2x4. It was the easiest break job I've ever had to do. Pad come out easy and go in easy. It does have two pistons and both have to be compressed at the same time. I put the brake pad back on the pistons and used a c-clamp to compress them both.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:32 AM
1st thing you do is compress the caliper BEFORE you take it off trust me this works great and you will get an even compression of the two pistons everytime.

do not let the caliper hang on the brake line

do not touch the surface of the pads with your fingers

clean everything with brakeklean BEFORE you start

put a towel under the fluid reservoir before you compress the calipers as brake fluid will eat through everything

buy specifically made caliper slide grease instead of using high temp bearing grease as it has a higher temp rating

be very very careful when breaking in the new pads

if you need to get the rotors off please post another question as that is another whole ball of wax!!

have fun!!

Quick Reply: Could someone help me? (Supercrew rotor question)