Stopping with parking brake.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stopping with parking brake.

Should I be able to stop my F150 4x4 quickly with the parking brake. I tried the parking brake from around 60 mph and it only slowed the truck down. It was nothing like the regular brakes.

Old 02-24-2004, 06:37 PM
No, not quickly. From 60, slowed is normal. True, it's not like the "regular" brakes. It's overall braking capacity is small. Repetitive braking at 60 miles an hour will toast your emergency brake; just a heads up.

Old 02-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the important thing to remember here is that it's a PARKING brake. It's designed to keep your vehicle stopped - not to stop it. This is a whole different dynamic. You'll also note that your parking brake works on your rear wheels only. Your regular braking system works off of all 4 wheels - and the front brakes are larger than the rears. That's because - with weight transfer - your front brakes do more of the work. Final answer - your parking brake will never stop as fast as your regular braking system. In an emergency though, it will stop you.

Old 02-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally posted by 2stroked
Final answer - your parking brake will never stop as fast as your regular braking system. In an emergency though, it will stop you.
Hmm, mine would probably stop me after coasting a half a mile with it on...

Quick Reply: Stopping with parking brake.