Rear rotors frozen on HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear rotors frozen on HELP!

Hey guys,

I was trying to help my parents out and offered to do the rear brakes on their 97 4x4 Expedition. I noticed when I took the tire off that the brake system was the exact same as on my Lightning. I told my parents no problem that I could take care of it and order them pads and rotors.

I took the calipers off and the rotors were a mess. One brake pad actually had no pad left on it and was grinding on the rotor. I was glad that I suggested getting new rotors when I finally got the calipers off. The reason they wanted the brakes done, was because they heard a grinding noise when they were going forward, backward, with or with out the e-brake on.

I can’t get either of the rotors off the truck. I have put the brake e-brake on, and turned it off, and on and off, and so on to try and free up the rotor. After about 30 minutes and lots of spray lube, I was able to get the right rear rotor off. I e-brake does not appear to be functioning properly. First question, how hard is it to rebuild, or fix the emergency brake setup? Next question, is how do I get the other rotor off that is frozen or locked on to the E-brake? I have taken the cable off and have tried hitting the switch in both directions to try and set the brake and turn it off???

Please Help!!!!!

Old 02-26-2004, 04:19 PM
If it's locked on by the e-brake then there's a rubber cover right under the axle that gives to access to the adjuster for the e-brake shoes, depending on the direction you turn this adjuster, the shoes will expand or contract. Rebuilding it is like doing regular drum brakes, depending what's bad, you may have to replace the shoes, cylinders, adjuster etc.

The rotor could be rusted on to the axle too.

Last edited by 01screw; 02-26-2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Are we talking drum or rotor. From your post your saying the rotor is stuck. In Syracuse, everything rusts onto everything else. Trying to get anything done suspension or brake wise is a nightmare. I beat the tar out of a set of rotors and finaly cut them off with a porta-band saw. I should have used a sawzall instead, because I accidentaly cut into a boss for the caliper on the knuckle. Try a really big sledge first. Heat, PB Blaster....just keep at it. Good luck.

Last edited by 88blkgtstang; 02-27-2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:58 PM
88blk he is talking about the rear rotors which have a small drum brake inside them which is the e-brake.

you can try the adjuster trick which should work you can also slip a thin putty knife inbetween the rotor and the shoes to try and unstick them however I doubt that it is the shoes. it is more likely just rusted to the hub like is very common on the front rotors.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by hcmq
88blk he is talking about the rear rotors which have a small drum brake inside them which is the e-brake.

Sweet. Learn something new everyday!

Quick Reply: Rear rotors frozen on HELP!