More on ATX tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2000, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post More on ATX tires

This hit the wires this AM.

Sears Stops Selling Suspect Tires
August 4, 2000 10:52 am EST

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Sears, Roebuck and Co (S.N), the nation's No. 1 tire retailer, said on Friday it stopped selling certain Bridgestone Firestone tires for sport utility vehicles (SUVs) and pickup trucks after fatal crashes linked to tire failure prompted a government review.

"We are discontinuing sale of those tires," Peggy Palter, a Sears' spokeswoman, said. "Until we have more information from Firestone, the responsible thing to do for our customers is to discontinue the sales."

Sears sells the Bridgestone Firestone ATX, ATX II and Wilderness tires for pick-up trucks and sports utility vehicles at its 780 Sears Auto Centers and 350 NTB auto parts stores.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on Thursday said it was probing 21 deaths in crashes of pickup trucks and SUVs where tire failure may have played a role.

------------------
97 F150 4x4 SC 8' box, 5.4l auto 3.55LS.

Old 08-04-2000, 05:34 PM
Red face

I was Just going to post the same after watching on tv that the atx caused some Ford Explorer to have accidents, they showed one upside down and the tread of the tire just came off, I thought at first that the owner was a cheapo driving with worn tires they were bald completly, gee!! let me call my brother right away he just replaced his Grand Cherokees tires with these tires.

Old 08-04-2000, 06:52 PM
When I picked up my truck the first thing I did was drive 23 miles and have Michelin LTX M & S installed. Great tires.

Quick Reply: More on ATX tires