looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2000, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question looking for advice

hello,

i own a 99 xcab 4x4 150 xlt. got around 30,000 miles and am looking ahead to replacing my tires (has firestone 235/70/16's). i am considering upgrading the rims at the same time. i know this sounds lame, but its asthetic more than anything else. the truck looks like a tank sitting on roller skate wheels and i am thinking about a bigger size wheel. i am almost never off road, but do haul some heavy weight in the back (occasional gravel & dirt). i do not want anything insane (no **** cepek mudders here) but would like something that fills out the wheel wells a little better. looked at the ford page for some suggested sizes but i am no better off.

can anyone recommend a good sized wheel for me. i intend to buy aluminum rims (like the light weight & better gas mileage)and i have no fear of denting them off road.

i would appreciate any advise anyone could give me.

thanks

------------------
mr k

Old 12-17-2000, 08:25 PM
My advise.....285/75/16s....either 16x8s or 16x10s.........They are a great tire, both on and off road, good wear and look great..Dave

------------------
1998 F-150, SC/Flairside,oxford white 4x2,4.6,auto,3.55s,nerf bars,cls 111 towing,bed liner w/mat,Eagle polished wheels 16x10 w/Yokahama Geolandars 315/75/16s,all plastics guards/bug shields,air raid/k & n filter, superchipped, duals out the back corners, flow master 3 chamber, snug top lid, f-150 online sticker back window-honk if you see me!!! Fabtech 3 1/2 lift,3" spindles, 3" body lift=9 1/2 inches of lift, lift lips.coverking dash cover, Lumi Logo's (front and rear), clear front corner lenses, muth mirrors,dash mounted CB, (TX Chapter requirement,lol),personalized license plates, Superlift traction bars,Image tail light covers (painted).and it still fits in the garage, yeahhhhhh

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

Old 12-18-2000, 06:13 PM
Billy
What size engine and what geers do you have in you truck?
If you go to much bigger you will loose some power. Maybee llok at some LT265/75R16 they will be a little bigger but not a ton. They are 2 sizes bigger than yours.
The american racing bajas are a nice rim, about $75.00 each at pep boys. If you get aluminum rims get some EagleOne A to Z wheel cleaner it is the best.

Old 12-18-2000, 06:29 PM
Lightbulb

pretty sure the rear is 3:55. have the 4.6l triton with a manual 5 speed gear box (had to go out of state to find a stick shift). the motor is totally stock. somewhere down the road will do the k&n air filter kit (after warranty is over).

thanks for the advice i am still not sure where i stand with this, other than i know i will get something bigger. i think i need to see the difference in a 16 x 8 and 16 x 10 inch rim. i am not looking to build a monster truck here, just want something a 'little beefer' than what i have.

again thanks to both you guys for the feedback.

Old 12-18-2000, 06:40 PM
Don't go any wider than 16x8 10 inches is to wide unless you put on some monster tires.
Check out some Michelin's they are awsome, I replaced my stock 255/70-16 with the LTX MS 265/75-16 to run in the winter. They handle better are smoother, and have been wearing much better than the goodyears. They give my truck a little beefier look, I would look at them might just be what you are looking for. NTB or Sears also sell them ,they are the same thing just called something different.

Old 12-19-2000, 06:26 PM
Thumbs up

donc

thanks alot. i will shop locally this weekend. i think from what i have seen (primarily on this site) i will prefer to buy local. i will check out the 265/75/16's. i have used michelin's on cars in the past (never trucks but i was always very happy with them). always had goodyears or coopers on my old chevy s10. coopers were ok, the goodyears wore like butter.

thanks for the advice, now i just have to go get them. will see if i can find them this weekend.

Quick Reply: looking for advice