Caliper bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Caliper bolts

Hows it going guys gotta question. I recently changed my rotors and brake pads on my 99 f150 and noticed that the bolts to secure the calipers did not have washers or anything to keep them from working themselves loose.I just got the truck a few months ago and this is my first ford.I didn't know if they were missing or never there.Worried they will back out over time any replies welcome Thank you.

Old 04-27-2004, 12:57 PM
bolts

I just went through this Easter weekend.
When I bought my 2001 SuperCrew Lariat a few months ago... Part of the deal was to turn my rotars and put on new pads.

Easter weekend, the right front was making AWFUL noises. Turns out the morons at the dealership forgot 1 of the 2 caliper bolts, so the bracket was rubbing against the edge of the rotar.

I had to order a set of 4 bolts from a local Ford dealership, so here's the answer to your question.

There is no washer or nut, there is however a threadlocker from the factory on the bolts. It's yellow in color.

I replaced 1 original bolt, and 1 new bolt with the yellow thread locker from the factory. Leaving the orginal bolt with nothing on it.

My opinion is they will not work themselves loose, but if you're really concerned... such as do a lot of hard breaking over rough roads...

I think you could safely put "blue" LocTite on those threads, not the "red".
"Red" would be nearly impossible to get off by hand.

The "yellow" threadlocker from the factory is only on about 4 threads in the middle of the bolt. So what I'm saying is, it doesn't take much.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I have never used loctite on my caliper bolts and so far (fingers crossed), I haven't had any problems

Old 04-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Exactly what I needed to know Thanks for the help

Old 07-14-2004, 02:56 PM
"blue" loktite on caliper bolts

Having now lost my second caliper bolt I am hearby recommending "blue" loktite be used.

Back Story:
I had my brakes serviced earlier this year. As you may or may not know, replacement bolts from the factory contain some "yellow" threadlocker. Anytime your disc brakes are serviced, this factory threadlocker should be reapplied. Apparently the monkey that did my breaks at the Ford dealership did not. In the course of 6 months I have lost 1 bolt (bottom one) from both front calipers. The top bolts are finger loose when I lose the bolt.

At Easter I replaced the left one, thinking it was a one-time thing with a new factory bolt which contained yellow threadlocker.

This past weekend I lost the right one.
Needed another bolt, so I bought some "blue" loktite at the same time.

The replaced bolt at Easter, I cannot get off with all my might. So the factory threadlocker is holding. The top bolt on the left side I was able to remove with normal socket set. So I applied "blue" threadlocker to it.

When servicing the right side where I lost my bolt this weekend... I put "blue" threadlocker on both bolts.

This is an FYI to anyone who doesn't their own brakes or who doesn't trust their Ford mechanic. If you can remove the bolts after the service... factory threadlocker was no applied. Slap some blue threadlocker on there and save yourself the headaches I've been through in losing bolts.

Quick Reply: Caliper bolts