Front brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004 | 12:59 AM
|
From: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally posted by melrose_1
Now that all the bitchin' and name callin' is over.... I was wandering if any of you had suggestions on brands of quality rotors, calipers and pads?
lmao, Yes things can get out of hand quickly on the forums. I used quality pads and rotors last time and the results were close to OEM stuff. I had titanium pads and Bendix rotors and they warped just as the OEM stuff did. This time i went with cheaper stuff and now have 2000 + miles and no problems as of yet. There are ceramic pads out there and cryogenic rotors and what not but If you have to beat them to get them off then the warranty is void on them anyways. It is an inherent thing with the F-150's and other trucks as well. For example i helped a good friend change his fronts on his 2001 jeep grand Cherokee and we ended up banging on them until they broke loose which they did but were rendered useless due to all the hammering to get them off.

Old 06-16-2004 | 11:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Just an observation...

But you guys that catch hell getting your rotors off seem to be from up Nawth where there's this strange white stuff called "snow." I hear it and something else called "road salt" can lead to bad juju on cars when it comes time to take things apart. Sometimes you've gotta go to town on rotors and drums to get 'em off. Even in hot and humid Gawga.

I've had good luck with Bendix and Raybestos for replacement stuff on my own junk and some customer's cars, although naturally I use some Ford and Motorcraft branded stuff as well with decent results. Take into account as well that you're stopping a relatively heavy vehicle, turning lots of forward motion into lots of heat. I've seen '03 Navigators and Expeditions wear pads out by 20K miles, sometimes it's just the nature of the beast. Driving habits play a large role as well; I get a lot of life out of my brakes (last set I did on my '97 lasted about 50Kish), but all 30-40 miles of my commute is highway with little stop and a lot of go.

Last edited by Quintin; 06-16-2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2004 | 10:54 AM
Where did you get parts for that cheap? I'm finding front pads for no less than $60/set, and rotors for about $100 each!

Old 06-21-2004 | 05:14 AM
|
From: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally posted by deep6blue
Where did you get parts for that cheap? I'm finding front pads for no less than $60/set, and rotors for about $100 each!
Go to advanced auto if you have one nearby they have what you need. Auto zone also has them under 40 bucks and pads around 20-25 bucks, good luck and remember the never seize inside the new rotors and make sure its high temp stuff./

Also on another note i had a friend come by this weekend with his 03 rodeo 4x4 and with 15,400 miles and ceramic pads (on front) his rotors are already warped and grooved and have to be replaced. Warrenty was up at 12,000 miles but i told him to take it to the dealer first. This is not inherent to ford only but is widespread.

Last edited by buckdropper; 06-21-2004 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2004 | 08:44 PM
Originally posted by buckdropper
It took all i had to remove them with a 20# sledge let alone a rubber hammer.
Flame Wrench maybe? Works better than force sometimes, but you do have to relieve stress every once in a while.

Quick Reply: Front brakes and rotors