Blinking Anti-Lock Brake Light-Cannot engage into gear!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blinking Anti-Lock Brake Light-Cannot engage into gear!

I had my 1994 F-150 Stepside Truck w/ 105,000 miles washed/detailed in preparation of sale. This truck has performed nearly flawless in the 5years that I've owned it (other than the usual maitenance-type repairs that one might expect). I drove it home from the detail shop, parked it in the garage and an hour later it would not start. After drying out the distributor cap, it started but physically could not get it into gear. The Anti-Lock brake light is flashing and the shift lever seems to be locked. It seems this truck is too safe for everybody's sake. No doubt the problem is related to moisture, Can anybody Help!! Thank you!!

Old 06-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Hey man... get down in the floor at your brake pedal. Under the lever at the top there is a button/switch. A couple of wires should be running from it. When you depress the brake pedal a signal is sent that will allow you to place the vehicle in gear.

chances are good that maybe while running a vac on your floorboards that someone has broken one of the wires. If you have enough lead you can simply remove the switch, solder a connector onto the broken pieces and reconnect everything. If not, then a few bucks will get you another one.

If you need to use the vehicle, insert the key, turn the ignition on, but don't start. Now you should be able to put the truck in neutral, start it, stick it in drive and away you go.

You'll need to do this each time until the switch is fixed.

good luck

Old 06-17-2004, 01:15 PM
melrose_1, you are right on! The switch was bad which was shorting out the fuse which come to find out also protected the blinkers and taillights. Nifty little trick about shifting into neutral, starting, then engaging into gear! Appreciate your help!!

Old 06-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Sorry I didn't check right back... don't log on much. Glad I could help. Stay right-side up!

Melrose

Quick Reply: Blinking Anti-Lock Brake Light-Cannot engage into gear!