I love AND hate 4wheelparts.com!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 09:18 AM
kev
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love AND hate 4wheelparts.com!!!

Sorry, just need to vent!

4wheelparts is a great shop. They have the lowest 'advertised' prices, send out a great monthly magazine for free, etc. However, I HATE actually purchasing from them!

I need a new set of Procomps for my truck which is up for inspection in July. So 4wheelparts is having their buy 3 get 1 free deal. First off, I don't understand why the internet cost for the 4 tires with the 3+1 deal is more than the 10% off special they had the other week! That makes me mad a bit!

Also, I got the internet price of $859 total shipped to my door. I don't like to enter my credit card on line, so I called up 4wheelparts. There customer support are nothing but a bunch of commisioned salesman! I felt like I was buying a used car (well I could buy a used car for the price of these tires, lol). I got the whole speal like "are you buying today", "what can I do to get you to buy today", etc. Then he comes up with a value of $1178 for the exact same tires/shipping that I had a printed internet quote for $859! I about flipped on the guy! He just said, "yeah we have the buy 3 get 1 free deal" going on, I could match the internet price!!!

I was so mad but I need the tires now and $859 is the cheepest I can find at the time being. Why does this place have to ruin their reputation by hiring salesman of this type? What is wrong with the policy of 'this is the price, no games'? I think companies get much more respect by that. I 'hate' playing games.

Ok, done venting. Moral to the story is, look for parts locally or do your full research before purchasing from 4wheelparts because they WILL screw you!

kev

Last edited by kev; 06-25-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Was this one of their retail stores that you called? One big mistake that people make is that even though they are the same company they are different entities. I get a 10% discount on my orders from the retail stores, but not online. Online they offer some deals that the retail stores just can't match. Its kinda like Gateway. My parents used to be a dealer for them and it was suprising that Gateway kept running online and TV ads that would undercut their own dealers. Honestly I feel safer entering my CC # online than I do over the phone. With the online connection you can see if its a secure line or not, with phones you have no way of knowing.

Old 06-25-2004, 02:12 PM
kev
I actually called the 1-800 number from their monthly catalog printed right above the 'Buy 3 get 1 free' deal and the tire with same same pricing as the internet! It wasn't a specific store, it was the main hotline.

kev

Old 06-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Kev,
How much power loss did you see going to the bigger size tire? I currently have the 3.55 diff and have the factory 265/70/17 tires but am looking at going to the 285/70/17. I'm just worried that the tranny is going to start hunting for gears.

By the way, your truck looks great!

Thanks,

Old 06-27-2004, 12:44 PM
I ordered my Pro Comp AT's from summit racing (www.summitracing.com). I got four 33x12.50x17 for $600 shipped. They were also offering the buy 3 get 1 free deal. I have ordered stuff from them for the past 10 years and have always had good luck. They don't carry a lot of truck stuff, but they are worth checking out IMO.

Chris

Old 06-28-2004, 08:03 AM
kev
Hmm, forgot to check summit. As of last year summit still didn't carry the 35s though.

On Friday I checked 4wheelparts.com website and noticed that they had free shipping plus buy 3 get 1 free! So I called up and told the guy to credit my order from thursday night to include the free shipping. He hesitated but he did it. So it cost me $780 total. Not bad. Like I said, 4wheelparts does have good prices but you have to fight with them to get them!

I have 3.73 gears in my truck and am turning 35s. It was a noticable performance loss when I went with the larger tires but it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. It does like to fall out of overdrive on hills a lot and I never leave it in OD when I tow. All in all, I am very happy with the performance of my truck with the 35s. I don't know about the 3.55s though, I never drove a lifted truck with the 3.55s.

kev

Quick Reply: I love AND hate 4wheelparts.com!!!