Brake(s) thumping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake(s) thumping?

Hello Gang,

Sure could use some help. I replaced my front brake pads this past Saturday, and rotated the tires (just front to back, and vice versa) while I had the truck jacked. Now it's Tuesday, and when I drive out of work, I hear this "thump" when I step on the brake. It seems to be coming from the driver's side front area. And if that's not enough, when I take a curve above say, 35-40 mph, it feels like that area up front is vibrating. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Matador

Old 06-29-2004, 08:10 PM
More info please:
  • 4x4 or 4x2?
  • new rotors?
  • resurfaced rotors?
  • bearings repacked?
  • lug nuts torqued to spec?
  • caliper torqued to spec?

Old 06-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Jimb,

Thanks for the interest. Yes, I should've posted more info:
- 4x2
- original rotors, not resurfaced
- bearings not repacked
- lugs nor calipers torqued; just tightened.

Starting to suspect the lug nuts. Again, thanks for looking at my post, and sure would appreciate any and all help.

Matador

Old 06-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Well, if the problem started three days after you switched pads, I would guess that either: 1) the caliper bolt(s) loosened up, 2) lug nuts loosened up, or 3) your pads finally conformed to your rotors and there was a rough spot on the rotor causing the thumping.
It could also be a bearing, but it would be very coincidental, since you didn't touch them. How many miles on the truck?

Here's the original rotors on my '99 with 33000 miles. Both sides have the same corrosion pattern. These brakes also rumble.
My new Brembo rotors and ceramic pads should arrive today.

Last edited by Jimb; 06-30-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:47 AM
Double check the lug nuts. had mine loosen up after several month. Wiped out the inside threads of the studs before I could get off the highway and retighten them. Ended up having to replace the nuts and studs. Started out as a weird vibration from the front especally at low speed. braking did not effect it much .

Old 07-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks again for the time to post your suggestions and advice. Turns out the lug nut had come loose! I wouldn't of believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself, because I've never had lug nuts loosen on me like that before. But I guess you live and learn. Anyway, got it all tightened up and took it for a spin - everything's back to normal. Thanks again.

Matador

Quick Reply: Brake(s) thumping?