dangling hose on axle..help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dangling hose on axle..help

Hi all,

I have a 98 5.4L ex cab. I noticed a hose/tube hanging down below from the drivers side rear axle. It is connected to a small block with 3 other tubes. One comes from the front of the truck, the other two run to the respective brakes and this rubber hose which is about 12-15 inches long. It does not appear to be cut or damaged, and is dry. I couldn't find any place to reconnect it when I took a peek.

Does anyone know what this might be, what it does, and where it may connect to the truck. I plan on taking a pic after work and posting it unless someone has an answer before I get to it.

Should I be overly cautious about driving it? I have only had the truck since april, so it could have been loose for quite some time.

Thank you in advance!

Old 07-05-2004, 01:02 PM
your hose is hanging out man

I have a 97 f150 with the same setup. If it's comming out of the axle, there should be a hole in the bed right above. Check to see if there is a little plastic connector on it. If so, this is the vent for the axle. it's suppose to keep air from building up on one side of the axle while being parked for long periods of time on a steep angle and having all the fluid running to one side. If this happened, the the other side would build up an air pocket, making it hard for lube to run back in that side once the truck is on flat ground.
hope this helps.

Old 07-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Doesn't sound too serious! Thanks Ben for the quick reply. I'm gonna go fishin for a home for this hose this afternoon!

You did say that the hose connects to a hole in the bed - right?

thanks again
Frostby

Quick Reply: dangling hose on axle..help