315/70R17 on stock SCrew

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
315/70R17 on stock SCrew

First time poster, long time reader.

They (whoever they are) say that you can squeeze BFG TA KO 315/70R17's under a stock (no lift) 97-03 F150 4X4. I'm looking for those brave souls (crazy bastards) that have done it.

I currently have the optional 265/70R17's, but had a blowout at highway speeds and the tire is not repairable, rim looks good. I considered going to 285/70R17's but don't think the extra 1.5 inches, 3/4 inch radius diff, would make much of a difference.

I would much rather see the 1.5 inches radius and 2 inches width the 315's would provide as well as the increased load capacity, tread wear, durability, and off-road/deep snow ability.

Who out there has tucked these monster tires under a stock 150? Did you just have to crank the bars enough to level, or did you have to go higher? How much did you have to trim off the valence? Any pro's or con's? Do you have any pics? And most importantly, would you do it again?

Old 07-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Actually, one of my coworkers has a stock SCrew FX4 with 285 BFG's under it and it looks much more aggressive than the RT/S 265's. If you do go 315, be prepared for some power loss in the form of slow acceleration and hill downshifts. As far as fitment, I had to trim just a bit of plastic off the front bumper to keep my tires from rubbing at full lock (although I don't have the t-bars cranked yet). I'm still impressed you can fit those on a stock truck without doing sheetmetal damage on every speedbump.

Mike

Old 07-13-2004, 11:52 PM
You're pic makes me want to do it even more...

I'm not concerned w/ the "minor" power loss or decrease in tow capacity even though one of my excuses for a new truck was to pull a trailer that we won't be getting any more...bought a RV instead.

Did you install the 4+2 lift or the tires first? Any change in gears or just computer?

Old 07-14-2004, 12:56 AM
Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but I did the 315's on my 03 SCrew. A bit of torsion bar adjustment, not alot, and about 1-1.25 inches off the bottom of the air dam with a line tapering up to where the plastic part of the bumper runs into the metal part of the bumper. The only rub I got was at full steering lock, when the tire contacted the frame. Not bad, just backed off the steering a bit and it stopped.

Old 07-14-2004, 07:47 AM
I have the 315's on my truck.. I had them on the stock wheels for a while, then got some 17x9's.

I don't know how those guys get them stuffed under there without a body or suspension lift, but I know mine would rub with a body lift..

I guess if you have a sawzall anything can fit!! :-)

Personally... I would lift it.

Roland

Old 07-14-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the compliment.

I had the lift, wheels and tires all done at the same time. I only drove the truck around for about a week before getting the Microtuner, so it's hard for me to compare pre/post Microtuner. I did recalibrate for tire size, which has pulled my speedometer pretty close to stock. And with my light right foot, my gas mileage seems to be pretty consistent between 14-14.5. So not too shabby...

As far as power loss, city driving isn't really the killer. What I don't like about the 315's is the downshifting that will occur at ANY grade at interstate speed. In my opinion, if you do much interstate driving, you may want to think about regearing. Of course, you probably have the 3.73's, which maybe will help out a little better than my 3.55's. Anyway, until I regear, my fiance's Montero Sport is what takes us on long trips It's just too painful to sit there and listen to the engine rev up and down while cruising down the interstate.

I've seen alot of people get a set of 315 BFG AT's from Hummer dealerships for a couple hundred bucks. That's a good way to test run them and see if they work for you. If not, there's plenty of folks who would probably buy them from you, including me, if you're close to Houston!

Sorry for the rambling, good luck with what you do, and post some pictures.

Mike

Old 07-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Thumbs up

Getting a set of take-offs from an almost local Hummer dealer. Set of 5 low to no mileage w/ H2 rims for $500...guess the rims will make good end tables, bar stools, or flower pots.

Anyone know if a 35" will fit under the bed? I'ld like to have a full size spare, but don't want to sacrifice any of the already limited SCrew bed space. I figure worse case I can always rig a carrier to the bottom of my TracRac, but would really like to have it tucked out of sight.

Last edited by PBPoisonn; 07-14-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:48 PM
I have said before that there is no way my BFG 315/70/17 would have fit without a P3" body lift and I finally have some pics. This is on stock wheels.
My Truck

Last edited by jdpritch89; 07-14-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by jdpritch89
I have said before that there is no way my BFG 315/70/17 would have fit without a P3" body lift and I finally have some pics. This is on stock wheels.
My Truck
Did you try, or did the lift before the tires?

Enough other people have done it to warrent me giving it a try. My only concern at this point is the full size spare (set of 5 from hummer dealer) fitting under the bed. I havn't had a chance to get under there w/ a tape yet, but think there might be a chance w/ stock exaust.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:26 PM
you may can put them on but it would not be smart to try and operate the truck without some serious altercations. You can see in one of the pictures the space between the back tire and the back wheel well...imagine that w/out the lift. As far as the front tires go we had the lift on but had not raised the front bumper...therefore it is in the same place as before the lift. We tried to put the tires on, but had to remove the bumper. I have some rubbing on the frame if I turn the wheel to the max.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:44 PM
I have 315/75R16's on my 98 with 16x8 rims and a 3" body lift. I don't think that i would put them on my truck without a lift. When I go off roading they tend to hit the fender occasionally and they can rub a little while turning. So basically, if you want to fit 'em good get at least a three inch body lift.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by jdpritch89
you may can put them on but it would not be smart to try and operate the truck without some serious altercations. You can see in one of the pictures the space between the back tire and the back wheel well...imagine that w/out the lift. As far as the front tires go we had the lift on but had not raised the front bumper...therefore it is in the same place as before the lift. We tried to put the tires on, but had to remove the bumper. I have some rubbing on the frame if I turn the wheel to the max.
I don't want to create any enemies, but back to my original question: Who has put the 315/70R17's on their trucks w/out a lift? I'm not interested in those who did the lift and then added the tires and feel insecure enough to say it wouldn't work without the lift they chose.

I've added another question to the list which I might answer for myself tomorrow. Will a 315... fit under the bed? It would appear that a 285 is the biggest you can tuck under, but most of the people claiming that have cat-backs or better that may interfere.

My thanks to all those who have offered their advice, first hand knowledge, and opinions on the matter.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:32 AM
As I understand it, a 315 will fit on the factory spare bracket, but it's a squeeze. I didn't know that when I bought mine, so I only got four. Ah well.

And for those who think fitting 315s with no lift can't be done:

You're wrong.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:08 AM
Seeing as how you keep quoting me then you are directing the question at me so therefore I'm going to respond. I guesss you can sit around and wait on the few who did try this to reply, but I just know that they would not have fit under my truck. Not being rude, but just responding in the tone which you did.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by PBPoisonn

I've added another question to the list which I might answer for myself tomorrow. Will a 315... fit under the bed? It would appear that a 285 is the biggest you can tuck under, but most of the people claiming that have cat-backs or better that may interfere.

My thanks to all those who have offered their advice, first hand knowledge, and opinions on the matter.
I have bolted up my 315 under the bed. It left about 1/4" clearance between the tire and the tailpipe, which is a little too close for comfort for me. I also want dual exhuast in the future, and I know that will kill any chance of tucking it underneath the truck. So, right now I'm relying on the thickness of the tread and sidewall to keep me on the road But so far so good.

Down the road, I may look to put a 32 or 33 in tire on the spare rim and use that in case of emergencies. At least it would fit better.

Mike

Quick Reply: 315/70R17 on stock SCrew