Front brakes locked---Then not

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Front brakes locked---Then not

Driving home yesterday in heavy stop and go traffic, I noticed my 98 2WD truck was sluggish and the brake pulsated when I applied the brake. No ABS or warning light came on and the truck stopped when the brake was applied

Upon ariving home, I noticed a slight brake pad smell, so I jacked up the front end and found both front wheels locked (I could not turn them by hand). Since both were locked, I assumed that something blocked the front line and kept fluid pressure on the front calipers. Being late and losing daylight, I decided to check it out further the next afternoon.

The next afternoon, I found the front brakes normal, I could spin both front wheels by hand. I took it around town, braking hard and more often than normal to get the brakes hot, and the wheels remained free (could be spun by hand). The brakes also did not pulsate anymore. Now I'm confused since I did nothing.

3,000 miles ago, I put on new front brake pads and flushed the brake system using new (unopened) DOT 3/4 Brake fluid, adding fluid to the resevior, pumping the brakes and opening the bleeder under pressure. I got alot of crap out, but i still don't believe crud caused both calipers to lock at the same time.

Is there some sort of check valve in the system ( the ABS module for instance) that could keep fluid pressure on the calipers? All had been normal until yesterday. The truck sits during the week (I drive a company vehicle) and I use it on weekends (short trips)

Have any of you also experianced this kind of problem and what was your fix?

Thanks for your input in advance

Old 09-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hoses could be blocking or kinked. Replace them.

Quick Reply: Front brakes locked---Then not