steering wheel shake @ 60-70 mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking back in with updated info on my 2004 F150 SuperCrew...........

Took it the first time for wobbling / shaky steering wheel at various speeds, and also a clunking sound that traveled the entire drivetrain length from tranny to rearend after starting from a dead stop.

They kept it for 6 days, did the road force test.......realigned the front, checked the balance of the tires.
They ended up putting 4 new Generals ( junk ) on the truck and replaced the differential clutch pack.

The steering wheel shake is about 75% gone, but comes outta nowhere at various speeds now.
The shake during braking is still there, epecially under heavy braking.
Worst off, the drivetrain clunking is still there and worse now.....almost feels like I have a load under the truck that is shifting - easily felt in the seat of your pants and heard louder now.

Called and made another appointment, and it's going back in tomorrow - - - I'm reading quite a few other posts with the same type problem, and have seen comments posted on a TSB for some of my problems....where can I get a copy / referance number for this TSB?

I know this is a F150 site, and a darn good one at that with a ton of info.........BUT this damn Ford has given me more trouble in 1700 miles than my 1995 Chevy Z71 did in 85,000 miles.
( It was totaled in a T-Bone accident 2 months ago - Glad I was in a truck, that's for sure )

So far very unhappy with this F150........nice looking, but that's about it. They better get it fixed soon, or I'll be looking into the lemon law we have here in Ohio

Old 11-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put a set of michelin cross terrains on my truck and the steering nibble/vib went away. the crossterrains handle better in the rain as well as on dry road. the bf goodriches su**ed.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Continuing story on my 2004 Supercrew........
Took it in for the 2nd time, and now they replaced the driveshaft and front rotors.
Drove it home with under 1900 miles now and it's still doing all the same things it was before, and even getting worse.
It's gonna be going back in a 3rd time here in the next few days.

The Service Mgr said that Ford is aware of the the problem but they do not know what to fix - Just great !!!
Buy a $34,000 vehicle and thats what I get.......one more time and I'll be looking at getting my $$$ back.
This is not a limited few that do this, but a bunch.......and now it's going on 12+ months for some people.

My 1997 Windstar's engine blew with only 12,000 miles and now this.

I'll have a GMC / Chevy Z71 in my driveway so fast it'll make your head spin if this isn't fixed the next time it goes in.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:40 AM
I hear ya. I am having the same problems with my 04 supercrew. I dont know what to do anymore but never buy another one again. They better find out what the problem is. My dealer said it was the bigger tires and I was out of luck.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Old 12-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by kato3man
Checking back in with updated info on my 2004 F150 SuperCrew...........

Took it the first time for wobbling / shaky steering wheel at various speeds, and also a clunking sound that traveled the entire drivetrain length from tranny to rearend after starting from a dead stop.

They kept it for 6 days, did the road force test.......realigned the front, checked the balance of the tires.
They ended up putting 4 new Generals ( junk ) on the truck and replaced the differential clutch pack.

The steering wheel shake is about 75% gone, but comes outta nowhere at various speeds now.
The shake during braking is still there, epecially under heavy braking.
Worst off, the drivetrain clunking is still there and worse now.....almost feels like I have a load under the truck that is shifting - easily felt in the seat of your pants and heard louder now.

Called and made another appointment, and it's going back in tomorrow - - - I'm reading quite a few other posts with the same type problem, and have seen comments posted on a TSB for some of my problems....where can I get a copy / referance number for this TSB?

I know this is a F150 site, and a darn good one at that with a ton of info.........BUT this damn Ford has given me more trouble in 1700 miles than my 1995 Chevy Z71 did in 85,000 miles.
( It was totaled in a T-Bone accident 2 months ago - Glad I was in a truck, that's for sure )

So far very unhappy with this F150........nice looking, but that's about it. They better get it fixed soon, or I'll be looking into the lemon law we have here in Ohio

well I have been dealing with a shimmy and vibration problem for 13 mo's. now and while my truck was up on the rack AGAIN I thought of something that might just cure the problem. I went to a building next door and test drove another crewcab... no vibration....why because it was a CHEVY..... I traded in my 2004 Flop ..I'mean FORD, now my problem is solved and enjoying driving again !!! something to concider !!!

Old 12-13-2004, 10:04 PM
From FMC

I'm in Sales at an SVT Dealer in Cincinnati (Bob Townsend Ford). This was on FMC Dealer.com yesterday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPECIAL FIELD ACTION
04L24 2004 and 2005 Model Year F150 (Excluding 2004 Heritage) - Tire Warranty Coverage Change

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank M. Ligon
Director
Service Engineering Operations
Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121

Tire Warranty Coverage Change
2004 and 2005 Model Year F150 (Excluding 2004 Heritage)

December 2004

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Label Program 04L24
2004 and 2005 Model Year F150 (Excluding 2004 Heritage)
Tire Warranty Coverage Change

PURPOSE OF THIS COMMUNICATION

The purpose of this communication is to advise dealers of a "tire warranty coverage change" that will also be communicated in Electronic Dealer Communication "2004 and 2005 MY New Vehicle Limited Warranty Change for Cars and Light Trucks" dated 12/10/2004. This change in tire warranty coverage will also be mailed to owners of 2004 and 2005 Model Year F150 (excluding 2004 Heritage vehicles).

TIRE WARRANTY COVERAGE CHANGE OWNER LETTER

The Tire Warranty Coverage Change letter will inform owners of 2004 and 2005 Model Year F150 (excluding 2004 Heritage) vehicles that the warranty limits of 12 months/12,000 miles for vibration or ride harshness and uneven or rapid tire wear, does not apply to their vehicles. These tire conditions will be covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Bumper to Bumper Coverage period of 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first).

Owners of affected vehicles will be mailed a letter in January 2005 informing them of their enhanced tire warranty coverage and will be provided with a label to update page 9 in their Warranty Guide.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

This is a tire warranty change only; no service action from the dealer is required for this program.

For dealer information, reference the Electronic Dealer Communication "2004 and 2005 MY New Vehicle Limited Warranty Change for Cars and Light Trucks" dated 12/10/2004.
Dealer only questions? Call the Warranty Assistance Team 1-800-423-8851.
Owner Questions? Call 1-866-436-7332.

Copyright © 2004 FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Published By: Recall/Service Programs Department
Ford Customer Service Division

Old 12-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Post Number 3 after taking my 04 SuperCrew in again......3rd time now for this piece of JUNK !!!!

Started with a phone call, where they asked if I could call back in 10-14 days..........that didn't cut it.
I finally got it in, and after 2 more days they decided they wanted to try and order another ( 2nd time ) set of a different brand of tire other than the General-Junk that's on there now.
I'm going to ask if I can get the Wrangler AT/S this time.

I'm also having probs with what has gotten to be a pretty severe drivetrain clunking that happens at take off, and now between shifts. They said that they wanted to order a new driveshaft, but I've heard that before and seen it in other posts here with it also not fixing anything.

After driving away this time, I was getting on teh E-way and the thing was vibrating worse than ever......Pathetic.
I ask myself why in teh world didn't I buy another Z71.....had a 1995 and it was trouble free at 85K until a guy hit me and totalled it.

Not sure if anyone else notices this either, but I have not cracked 13 mpg since I've bought the truck - it has the 5.4 Litre.
It's supposed to get 14 and 18......and I'm not driving any different than with my Z71 that got 16mpg......anyone else have this issue?

The Service Mgr. seems to be a pretty decent guy,a nd I can't blame them for what Ford has produced - heck they have no idea what or how to fix it either. Hate to say it, but it's time to see about turning this thing back in.

Old 12-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Angry F150 shake

I really wish I had researced this site before purchasing my '04 screw 4X4. I would have definitely gone with the Toyota. I also have the shakes and steering wheel wobble. Ford has replaced the 2 front tires to no avail. Feels like the front and rear shakes and I can see the bed shaking badly when looking down the side through the rear view mirror. Ford should have to buy all these things back if they can't find a cure!

Old 12-26-2004, 08:36 PM
I agree they need to get us fixed.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Trading In

Isnt there a law that states if you have brought in your truck like more then 5 times int he year you are automaticly suppose to get a new truck w/o having to pay anything? Thats what happned to my friend but he had a dodge and he got a new truck and its working good now... or maybe its a texas law. i duno

Old 02-16-2005, 04:36 PM
I got my truck new and it came with general as 550 235/70/16.
It had a nasty vibration at 70mph but went away at 80mph.

Then I put bigger tires on it, dunlop radial rover a/t 285/75/16, and it still had that nasty vibration when i hit 70mph on the speedometer.

Damn it I was pissed and thought is was either something out of balance on the truck itself, or maybe one of the rims was bent a little.

Now at 50,000 miles, I put a new set of bf goodrich long trail t/a 235/70/16 and the vibration is gone !??!!

Old 07-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Tread Seperation at 70 MPH

Wanted to wake up this thread... If you have the General 235/85 R16 Original Equipment Ameri-tracs (or similar) I would trade them now... I have $2600 in damage on my 2003 F250 Super Crew... Could have had a lot worse... The steel belts broke in multiple places and became flails... peeled off the fender, even bent the bumper, let alone the loss of control... lucky I didn't roll the truck in a curve, or hit someone head on at 70... guess I'm lucky a piece didn't come through the firewall...

Does Ford Care? Not a chance. Not only do they refuse to pay for the damage to my truck (out of warantee), they keep putting these cheap tires on expensive vehicles, and they don't warn anyone about them. The Ford body shop guy said he sees this all the time... Guess they didn't learn from Firestone...

And reading reports on the web... extra feature... the belts can actually "grab" the frame and stop tire rotation while your at 70 MPH...

Old 07-12-2005, 02:34 PM
vibrations

For what this is worth, I also have a 04 F-150 FX4, Ford sent me a warranty update relative to wheel vibrations. Evidently the trucks stock tires are only covered for 1 year. They upgraded the policy to cover three years and thirty thousand miles; evidently the stock rubber has had problems with the steel belts breaking. This is supposedly a non-safety issue however they said if I get unwarranted road vibration to have it looked at. The big problem is a diagnosis, even if you balance the tires they still will suffer from the shakes. My trucks tires always look low but when I check they are not, I'm thinking that the belts are toast, especially in the front left.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Lemon Law

Originally Posted by t1offdahook
Isnt there a law that states if you have brought in your truck like more then 5 times int he year you are automaticly suppose to get a new truck w/o having to pay anything? Thats what happned to my friend but he had a dodge and he got a new truck and its working good now... or maybe its a texas law. i duno
I think there is something out there to the affects of this. I think it has to be for the samething for so many times and the dealer has to buy it back and give you another. I tried this site and it only covers some of the NE states http://www.lemonlaw.com/rights.html. I'm sure that TX has something to this affect.

Quick Reply: steering wheel shake @ 60-70 mph