F-15 rear ABS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-15 rear ABS

My new to me '89 F-150 I6 5 speed (OD) has a dash lite that stays on. It says something like "Rear Antilock".

What does this mean (I ask while holding my breath)?

Old 01-01-2005, 07:20 PM
It means that you have a fault dealing with your RABS system (rear ABS)

How are your electrical diag skills? I can further explain the procedure if you want, but don't want to type it all out if you are uncomfortable...

Old 01-01-2005, 07:29 PM
I used to be an electronics technician at NASA in the late 1960's. That was a long time ago, but I should be able to follow your instructions.

Problem is the Clymer manual I bought is garbage.

Lay it on me.

Thanks

Old 01-01-2005, 08:04 PM
I was afraid you were going to say that.... is the amber/yellow light on or the red light or both? If it is amber ABS light see below...

I am a service Engineer for Ford but am obviously not at work for the weekend. Let me see if I can remember fuse numbers/locations off the top of my head.

1. The RABS module used on this vehicle "blinks" codes. The procedure is below....

-You have to turn the ignition key on, unplug RABS diagnostic connector and jump the RABS module feed side of the harness to ground. This will throw the module into a "flash out" mode. The RABS indicator on the dash will flash a series of flashes. Get the code and post it up and I will tell you what it means. Now for a couple technicalities---

1. The RABS diag connector should be located in the driver fron kick-panel area. near the main wire pass-through at the bulkhead.

2. If you can't find the connector you can pull fuse 13? (I think it's 13, can verify monday) and jump the load side to ground with the key on.

3. The key has to be on before disconnecting the diag connector or removing the fuse. The reason is that connector / fuse provide the "keep alive memory" (KAM) to the module. The module has to see a key on signal (through different fuse going hot) along with the keep alive voltage feed and then see a loss of the KAM in order to go into "flash out" mode.

Most common problems with the older trucks were related to RABS valve failures (code 4). Hope this helps

Old 01-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks skinner82,

The light is yellow-white, amber I guess. It surely does not have a trace of red.

I went out to start it to see the color. Guess what? No dash lights. I don't think this will ever end.

If you want to give a bit more advice check here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=180242

Thanks for whatever you can do for me.

Quick Reply: F-15 rear ABS