Which load range?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which load range?

Just wondering what load range tires some of you are running. I currently have C range but plan to go with a D when I replace them this spring. I think an E range wjould be too stiff but was looking for opinions before I made the purchase.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:08 AM
P Passenger 35psi max cold
LT Load C .... 50psi max cold
LT Load D .... 65psi max cold
LT Load E .... 80psi max cold

A LT Load C tire will more than handle anything the F150 is rated for, and would be a huge improvement over any stock P tire. A Load D tire would be ok too. You can adjust the PSI anywhere from about 35psi to max cold rating to get the ride, handling, you like for load you have.

Generally the higher the load rating, the harder the rubber, which may not give good wet/snow traction when the truck is empty.

Old 01-16-2005, 11:35 PM
It all depends on what you do with the truck. On my 01 4x4 I run ATs in a LR D tire. I beat the **** out of that truck though so I needed it.

A E on a f-150 is stupid, its even stupider on my friends ranger. Im still trying to figgure out why the guy who he bought it from would have put Es on a ranger.

I'd say a LR C will be more then fine for you.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Mainly do highway driving but I do use it like a truck. Most of the non-road time is at mom & dad's farm. I'm thinking the D range may be the way I want to go; best balance of what I'm looking for in comparison to the C range I have now without jumping clear up to the E range. I hadn't really thought about the impact of a harder rubber compound on wet/snow conditions. Still have some time to shop around.

Nico: An E on a Ranger? How did your friends truck perform with that stiff of a tire on a small truck? On the small trucks we drive at work, we never have anything stiffer than a C.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Angry I BEG YOUR PARDON

I just put my second set of Cooper AT's load range E on my 2002 F150, and your calling me "stupid " is an insult!!

I happen to like the security you get when driving on a 10 ply tire in the woods with a full load of green oak and hickory firewood on the truck --or a load of rocks to be hauled home for a landscape job. If you've ever had to change a tire after a ruined tire with a load like this on the truck -- you would understand. of course you probably never carry anything heavier than your "weekend toys" on your truck.
Furthermore I am sure the tire manufacturers would not even make them available if it was a "stupid " idea as you insinuate---AMEN

Old 01-19-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm running 295/50R15 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's... I cant spin the tires with the 5.0L unless I'm turning or power brake it... even then, it doesn't go over to well. It sticks to the road, I've followed a 350Z up a loop to get on the interstate... I was on his *** all the way around until we hit the straight. The tires will give a nice errr noise and the truck will bank.... but it wont lose its footing.

A bad thing about these tires is that they like to hydroplane over water. Even on a damp road they'll spin out if I give it any more than a tap. I spun off the on ramp the other day...actually fishtailing it for a while.

As for load weight.... I've never had a problem with the 295/50 Indy 500's.... Even with a full bed of solid concrete blocks, not cinder blocks, solid. The suspension looked maxed in the rear...it wouldnt give way when I jumped in the back.. so assumed it was. The tires on the other hand barely showed a change. The truck rode just like usual though, made 3 trips that day, same load each time... Other times I've pulled a 28 ft Mako around (it held 500 gallons of fuel and twin 225 outboards..) Granted, we had to get a 4x4 to pull it in and out of the water...again, tires spin when wet. Another time we had four 800 pound hay bails on a trailer and one in the bed, granted, I've thought about that 5.8L.. but I've never had a problem with the tires.

Quick Reply: Which load range?