Rotor replace

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by james2199
YES lol the 4wd Rotorsare complete Rotor and Hub assemblies. try unbolting that center bolt with the pin in it. if ur scratching ur head to findit, its the Center of the rotor, there may or may not be a cover on it to protect it from dust. once u remove that nut, remove the washer, then the bearing. then slide the rotor off ( granted you have ur whole caliper off) when u slide the rotor off, because when u remove the seals in the back, if u bend them, you'll have to buy new ones. take all those "guts" and put it into the new rotor, unless u bought new bearings and seals, then do the same thing just with the new stuff. DONT FORGET to repack your bearings. and then just put ur rotor and hub assembly right back on, washer, nut, pin and dust cover. the Nut, you should tighten up all the way u can, and then release it one half turn back and the rotor should spin freely with the spindle. once that is done the, bolt up ur calipers and put ur new pads on, and away you go. dont forget to open ur brake fluid cap when depressing ur caliper piston and when u get in, pump ur brakes a few times to adjust that piston u just decompressed back into its bore. done
oh and FYI since you heated that rotor up for 20 minutes, go buy the seals, and bearings and a repacking tool and grease for it, u just toasted ur seal and bearings doing that lol.
they arent expensive, just go down to autozone, the bearings are about 8 bucks or so and seals. and the repacking tool isnt any more than 20 bucks.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by james2199
way to go guy. you got the procedure right, but thats for a 4wd truck. not 2wd like you claim.
Welcome to the boards, James, however you are unfortunately mistaken in this case. My instructions were from personal experience on my truck, which I am quite certain is 2WD.

While it is possible to remove a 4x4 hub and rotor together, they also come apart. When you buy a replacement 4x4 front rotor you will get only the rotor. The hub, which has inside gear teeth to transfer torque/power from the axle, is purchased separately (likely not needed unless you break it trying to get the rotor off ). Trucks with 2WD have a combined hub-rotor up front because it rotates freely around the spindle.

Also, while I really appreciate people using the 'Search' tool, remember to check the dates on the posts before resurrecting from the graveyard.

Last edited by ucfperspicere; 11-08-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Rotor replace