Im scared

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im scared

Alright,
I bought new rotors, bearing, pads, and calipers. I installed them in hopes of everthing being ok. Big delima pedal goes to the floor. I bled the brakes from pass rear and so on to drivers front. I still have no pedal. So I replaced the master cylinder and bled the cylinder before installing. I went ahead and bled the brakes again. I still have the same problem. One thing I have noticed is that the back brakes have a lot of pressure built up during bleeding. The front brakes barely have a trickle. I am confused as hell.
Any help is greatly....greatly appreciated
Thanks

Old 07-14-2005, 09:27 PM
It sounds like air got into the system. Get someone who has done it before to help you out. Start by bleeding the master, and go through the whole system again. They will come back when all the air is out. The reason you have rear pressure is the brakes are 2 complete systems to prevent total brake failure. The rear are probably fine, but start at the master and work down the lines. You can do it!

Old 07-14-2005, 09:36 PM
when you installed the calipers did you install them so the bleeders are at the top. It is hard to bleed the system with ABS so it may take a while. I use a vac and suck out the fluid and have no problems with my brakes.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Obligatory stupid question time...like Lee sez, you do have the calipers on the correct sides, right? Bleeders on top? I'd try gravity bleeding it next; fill the master cylinder, leave the cap off, open the bleeder valves in the reverse sequence that you normally would (closest to the master cylinder first), sit back for a minute or three and wait for fluid to run steadily out of the bleeder valve.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:03 AM
This is on an 86 F150 2 wheel drive pickup. The calipers bleed valves are located on the bottom of the caliper. I dont have ABS on my truck at least I dont think. But I will pull all of the bleed valves at the same time tommorow and let the whole system bleed.
Thanks for the replys
keep 'em commin

Old 07-15-2005, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Old86
This is on an 86 F150 2 wheel drive pickup. The calipers bleed valves are located on the bottom of the caliper. I dont have ABS on my truck at least I dont think. But I will pull all of the bleed valves at the same time tommorow and let the whole system bleed.
Thanks for the replys
keep 'em commin
You've got the calipers on the wrong sides. Bleeder always faces up or is pointing in such a direction that it's at the highest point it can be on the caliper.

Old 07-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks man I'm an idiot. I had the calipers on the wrong side. The problem is fixed thanks man I appreciate the help. But I have a new problem my rotors are getting really hot. I think I may have put too much grease in the hub when I installed the bearings. Because they are not overtightened. One of the dust covers blew off because of heat.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Lesson learned. I'd have a mechanic look at it just to be "SAFE".

Old 07-18-2005, 10:25 PM

The dust caps may have popped off because the grease heated up and flowed. It takes a lot less grease than most folks think to pack a bearing. A thin coat on the inner and outer races, nothing else. Pack the bearing as you normally would (by hand or with a bearing packer, you choice) and let it roll. I've seen guys (I was guilty of this too) pack the inside of the hub slam full of grease. This can pop the grease seals and/or dust caps off when the rotor starts to heat up.

Quick Reply: Im scared