Wheel and tire laws?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wheel and tire laws?

I have as i told you guys been looking into buying some 325/60r18 tires, with 12.8 inch wide tires they will stick out alittle, and im not sure if that is legal. I live in pennsylvania and people have told me that it is illegal to have tires that stick out too far. If anyone knows anything about this some help would be great, also if it is in fact illegal, what would be the widest tire i could buy, and still stay legal on my 2001 4x4 suspercrew?

thanks guy

Old 07-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Contact your local police or sheriff's department.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:31 PM
what can happen

Like what type of penalty would breaking a law like that have?

Old 07-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
In Oregon, you must have fender flares and mudflaps that cover the width of your tire. I got pulled over by a state trooper for speeding (lucked out with a warning) and had a long talk about my 12.5 tires on my Ford Ranger. About 5 months later, a state trooper pulled me over for not having wide enough mud flaps. That was it, that was the primary offense. I had mudflaps, but they weren't wide enough. Unbelievable.

Anyway, he said that all trucks on the road must have mudflaps and fenders that cover the width of the tires -- my mudflaps only covered about 10.5" of the 12.5" tire. I mentioned that lots of trucks on the road don't have any mudflaps at all. In a very boisterous voice, "Well, they're getting tickets then!" Yeah, right. I was just getting a warning, so I wasn't going to argue myself into a ticket. However, have you seen a new car lot lately ... none of the full-size trucks come with mudflaps, so how is it legal to sell a car that is illegal as soon as it hits the public roads? Wouldn't that be like selling a car without a front bumper or a windshield?

Anyway, I'm sure that there is some qualifier to the law, but bottom line is that in Oregon, you need mudflaps and fender coverage for tires. Probably for any size tire different from stock. I would guess that other states have similar laws.

Old 07-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, you can't even pump your own gas in Oregon, so that mudflap law makes sense to me!! ha, ha

Actually, I've heard of that mudflap thing here in Washington too... I think the cops around here only bug the trucks that have obviously been altered by going to the larger tires and lifts and all. Most all the 'monster' type of trucks I see on the road (ones with 38" + tires on them and lifted to the moon) have semi truck type of mud flaps on them. Some have fender flairs, and some don't. Most seem to have those Nutz hangin' off the hitch too...... Maybe that's required when you lift your truck too?? ha, ha...

Anyway, my truck is stock, but the tires are just a tad larger/wider then what came on it, but they don't stick out past the flairs, so I've not been bothered about the mudflap deal...... Yet......

Mitch

Old 07-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like I said, contact your local police or sheriff's department. Laws and fines vary from state to state.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:35 PM

Here in Va, your tires cant extend past the fender well over 3in (i believe, it might be 2in). You would need fender flares to "make it legal". The mud flap thing is also the same here as well. Although it isnt enforced all that much. The laws state all "trucks" must have mud flaps, BUT a truck is different than a "pickup". Its the way they write these laws that is screwy.

Do what wandell said and check your local PD.

Quick Reply: Wheel and tire laws?