Alignment Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Alignment Problem

Question for everyone. I installed my Autospring 2 1/2" spacer Fri night without too much trouble, and had 17x8 MB Motoring Blitz wheels with 315/70-17 BFG AT Tires put on yesterday. I have been to 2 differnent tire shops and both said that the rims have no lip to get the alignment racks on. Looking at the rims and tires it seem that they are right, the rims have no lip, and the BFG AT tires overlap the edge of the rim, leaving nothing to mount the aligment racks.

I know Porkchop has the same rims with Nittos, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Unfortunately, when I had the new rims and tires mounted, I had the old tires taken off the stock rims and disposed of as the had over 60k on them, so right now I have no other choice but to have the alignment done with the new rims and tires.

Dave

Last edited by Ghengis; 07-24-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:35 PM
A good alignment shop will have adapters that go on the outside of the wheel between the wheel and tire. If your alignment shop doesn't have these simple standard items....maybe you should re-think where you are getting your alignments done.
Is it a digital alignment machine? The newer machines are accurate to .005 degrees. The resolution on the machine will show .01 degrees of adjustment. If the technician knows what they are doing and wants to they can get it perfect.

5,000 alignments plus under my belt...thank you

Old 07-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
A good alignment shop will have adapters that go on the outside of the wheel between the wheel and tire. If your alignment shop doesn't have these simple standard items....maybe you should re-think where you are getting your alignments done.
Is it a digital alignment machine? The newer machines are accurate to .005 degrees. The resolution on the machine will show .01 degrees of adjustment. If the technician knows what they are doing and wants to they can get it perfect.

5,000 alignments plus under my belt...thank you
Yep, Colorado has it 100%. There are little "feet" that snap over the pins on the head that allow the tech to "squeeze" rather than "spread" the head onto the rim/tire combo. If there's no lip at all on the rim and the rim protectors on those BFGs are real stiff, the tech can always deflate the tire and use a little liquid soap or silicone to help slide the feet between the tire and the rim. It takes a little more time that way due to deflating/reinflating the tires, but sometimes that's the easiest way to get the heads mounted for the alignment.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:29 PM

I had the same problem when trying to get my truck realighned after installing my lift and tires. Your just going to have to search around for the shop that has the right tools to get it done. I got mine done a treadquarters, if you have any near you.

Quick Reply: Alignment Problem