Strange Rear Brake Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Rear Brake Squeak

I've searched the forums for "brake squeak" and "brake squeal" but didn't see anything addressing when the rear brake squeaks. I suppose a disc brake works the same way whether on the front or back of the truck, anyway, here goes...

I've got a 2003 F150 XLT FX4. It's got 4 wheel disc brakes. Only 17,000 miles on it.

About a second, maybe a second-and-a-half after I apply the brakes there is a short squeak--lasts about a second (or less)--which I believe is coming from the right rear brake. This doesn't happen every time I apply the brakes, I'd say about 50% of the time. It's become quite annoying.

I looked at the rotors and except for some slight pinhole sized pits here and there they look fine. There is a lot of pad life left.

Although it's under warranty, I'd rather not bring it to the dealer and be without the use of my truck for half a day. Anybody else have this problem? Anybody know of a fix?

Old 08-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could be just dust

spray everything with some brakeclean and post results

brake dust can cause some strange noises

...zap!

Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 AM
brake squeal

I`ve got a 2004 F150 4x4 I`ve had the same problem (you can read it a few post down) I took it in to the dealer they checked it couldn`t find any problems, but they did sand the pads it didnot help I plan to take it back as soon as posible try to make them replace the pads on the driver rear side.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:06 PM
rear brake squeak

Remember that the emergency brake shoes are located inside the rear rotors.
The passenger side of mine seperated and tore up the inside of the drum. The rotors must be removed,sometimes bent/destroyed, to get them off to check.

Quick Reply: Strange Rear Brake Squeak