disk brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disk brakes

I'm looking at a 2000 f150, 7700 4x4. It's got disk brakes on the rear where as my 97 has drums. Just wondering when they changed and how the disk on the rear stand up to wet gravel roads and other debris.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello john,

I think they only come on certain models like the Lariat and maybe a few others. They have a metal cover on the back that keeps the rotors from being exposed so I would bet wet gravel roads and other debris would not be an issue. I have a 2000 Lariat 4x4 with 90K miles I replaced the back pads one time and still have the original rotors.

Last edited by rkjerue; 08-11-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:42 AM
They should all have dust covers on the rear on the inside of the axle. This cover is the backing plate for the little drum brakes used as the e-brake.

Fact: Disc brakes stop faster than drum brakes
Disc brakes dry faster than drum brakes
Disc brakes shed dirt better than drum brakes (when emersed)

The only reason that all vehicles haven't had 4 wheel disc since it's inseption is manufacturing cost. Now that truck manufacturer's are making large profits from truck sales, they started upgrading them to justify the price.

Life expectancy of rear disc...depends on user. I replaced rears on my Expedition at 85,000 and they were 75% worn...original rotors still used too.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 08-12-2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:58 AM
I've got a 2000 XLT 4.6 with discs all around. They are pretty damned good. I've changed the pads on the front once already this year, but looks like I'm going to have to replace them again along with the rotors. They are rough (they were rough when I changed the pads). The rears seem to be holding up pretty well, but I'm going to change the pads on those too. BTW, it seems to me that it's a lot easier to service the discs than the drums.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I have atvs and dirt bikes and totally agree with your comments on brake power and ease of maintenance. I just kept hearing people grumbling that disk brakes wear quicker and can seize up(especially with winter roads). I guess I'll just wait and see how they stand up. Thanks again.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:56 PM
It probably gets a lot colder in Alberta, but it gets pretty cold during the winter here in Kentucky. I haven't had a problem with them at all. Both the front and the rear discs have shields on them to protect them, so that's not much of a worry. They don't really get any more moisture to them than the drums simply because they dry out easier and quicker. They're good... don't worry about them.

Quick Reply: disk brakes