New CROSS-DRILLED / SLOTTED ROTORS installed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New CROSS-DRILLED / SLOTTED ROTORS installed.

Just installed a set of Zinc plated Cross - drilled / slotted rotors on my 02 SuperCrew. To go with the new rotors, I installed PRO CERAMIC pads to help stop the 22's . So far they work KILLER!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Dude thats sick. Looks great. How much did that help you out in the braking department.

MY TRUCK

Old 08-17-2005, 11:19 PM
How much did they cost you?

Old 08-18-2005, 10:37 AM
The combination of drilled/slotted rotors AND pro-ceramic pads have greatly improved my braking. The new rotors/pads with 22's stop better than the stock rotors/pads with stock wheels & tires. As for the cost, I bought the new rotors at R1 Concepts (an ebay store) for $215.00 (all 4 rotors ! ) shipped to my door w/ free zinc plating. They also have BLACK and GOLD plating for the rotors, but keep in mind the coating is for rust prevention on the rotor and will wear off where the pads grab! The Pro-Ceramic pads are from www.Schucks.com (a local auto parts store) at $128.00 for front & rear pads. You can buy cheep organic pads for around $25 a set or semi-metallic pads for $40 a set, but since I've had these Ceramic pads for the last week, I would never buy anything else. Well worth the $$$ and they are low dust/improved braking/longer lasting.

Here's the link to the R1 Concepts store:

http://stores.ebay.com/R1-Concepts_W...toreviewQQtZkm

Last edited by rockafella; 08-19-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Wish I had read this thread yesterday b4 Ijust replaced my rorors with stock replacements for the 2nd time. Did you replace the calipers? What can you coat them with to keep from rusting?

Old 08-19-2005, 11:39 AM
I still have the stock calipers, haven't painted them yet. You can get caliper painting kits with high-temp paint from most auto parts stores. I wish I could get my calipers ZINC coated like the rotors to prevent rust, but oh well.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Question!

Rockafella is it possible to replace the drums (1997 Lariat 4WD) with disc brakes?
How much would that cost?

Are there any better brake drum kits availble other than stock?

Old 08-22-2005, 10:39 AM
I have no idea if they make rear disc conversion kits, but then again I've never looked for them. I would try BAER os POWERSLOT to see if they make one. If you can't find one and want to upgrade the rear brakes, have the drums turned or replace them and use CERAMIC or KEVLAR PADS. You can buy front DRILLED / SLOTTED rotors and upgrade the pads ALL THE WAY AROUND and this will improve your over all stopping power. With new or freshly turned drums along with new Kevlar or Ceramic pads in the rear, you might find that you don't need rear disc's. Hope this helped a little. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks

Thanks to the ROCK!!!

Old 08-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Brakes

Geez, what was wrong with the stock ones?
I love changing rotors and pads with every brake job......

Nice job, looks great!

Old 08-23-2005, 08:15 PM
i would watch those rotors tho. you did buy a good brand so should be no problems. but when heat builds up they tend to crack the cheaper ones. keep an eye on them for a while. and for whoever asked about a conversion kit from drum to disk yes they make one yes u will pay big time for it! if you can look for a junked truck with all the stuff already on it. TONS cheaper just remember when and if u find one... clean everything up nice. turn rotors if they need it and grease everything in the caliper. good luck for the find!

Old 08-24-2005, 12:05 PM
The stock brakes were only about 20% when I installed the new 22's. And as we all know, larger rolling mass = more stress on the brakes. My wife took my truck over the mountains and reduced both inner front pads to metal on metal, which of course destroyed both front rotors. Oh, darn, have to upgrade to drilled/slotted. I did some research and at $68 a rotor from the FORD dealer, it was cheaper to go with the new ones from R1 Concepts. I did make sure to pair up the new rotors with a complete set of PRO CERAMIC pads to help slow the 22's. So far, about 500 miles on them now, no complaints what so ever! and I am always checking the rotors for any signs of cracking when ever I wash it, about 3 times a week. Thanks for all the input guys!

Old 08-27-2005, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by rockafella
The stock brakes were only about 20% when I installed the new 22's. And as we all know, larger rolling mass = more stress on the brakes. My wife took my truck over the mountains and reduced both inner front pads to metal on metal, which of course destroyed both front rotors. Oh, darn, have to upgrade to drilled/slotted. I did some research and at $68 a rotor from the FORD dealer, it was cheaper to go with the new ones from R1 Concepts. I did make sure to pair up the new rotors with a complete set of PRO CERAMIC pads to help slow the 22's. So far, about 500 miles on them now, no complaints what so ever! and I am always checking the rotors for any signs of cracking when ever I wash it, about 3 times a week. Thanks for all the input guys!
If the pads didnt wear evenly you needed more than pads and rotors.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by dreamsr
Rockafella is it possible to replace the drums (1997 Lariat 4WD) with disc brakes?
How much would that cost?

Are there any better brake drum kits availble other than stock?

not worth the investment especially since rear drums are only used 30%.. i hae stock pads on my truck and its been through 127,00 miles about 70% of those miles were spent towing a trailor... and the rear shoes are at 65% and dont need replacing... so unless u do alotta burn outs and power brake or ride around loaded down alot u dont need to upgrade ur rear brakes.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Faster - I have always heard that the fronts do twice the work of the backs too - and I can't remember replacing backs much.

Gotta admit that rear discs do look cooler with spoke wheels.

Has any one tried the stainless replacement lines? 2 in front & one in back.

My brakes are just o.k. I think I'll do rockafella's thing, and lines for improvement.

Quick Reply: New CROSS-DRILLED / SLOTTED ROTORS installed.