My head hurts thinking about tires - wanna help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Relax, it's not that big a deal. The only way your speedo will not be off is if you go with a tire the same height as your OEM tires, but you obviously don't want that. I went from a 30 inch tire to a 33 inch tire. My speedo is now off 5mph at 60mph. That is the only affect I had. It's not that big a deal as long as you know it. Also, your speedo is probably off a little right now. The only speedometers that are certified to be 100% accurate are the ones on police vehicles. I'd just get some 265/75-16's and enjoy them.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1-
I have Nitto 404's - 305 (12") x 60 x 17(31") tucked under a 3/4 drop, and it works, with a minimal rub on the inner plastic well in front when I hit a hard bump....I'm ok with it.
98 trucks do not have digital speedo / odo....you must change the vss gear....... very easy to do, but selecting the closest gear is a challenge.... search vss gear, and you will find more than you need to know on the subject.
A new gear is like $ 15.00.
With my gears, tires, and vss gear change I am reading 2 mph fast at 60 mph, I think thats a good buffer for radar, etc.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
1-
I have Nitto 404's - 305 (12") x 60 x 17(31") tucked under a 3/4 drop, and it works, with a minimal rub on the inner plastic well in front when I hit a hard bump....I'm ok with it.
98 trucks do not have digital speedo / odo....you must change the vss gear....... very easy to do, but selecting the closest gear is a challenge.... search vss gear, and you will find more than you need to know on the subject.
A new gear is like $ 15.00.
With my gears, tires, and vss gear change I am reading 2 mph fast at 60 mph, I think thats a good buffer for radar, etc.

Where can I get the gear at? Something like Pepboys/Autozone/Napa?

I did a google search for "vss gear" and this thread was the 4th one listed. Damn google is quick!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:49 AM
tires

I've had 2- 97' 150 XLT Ex-cab 4X4 and now I have a 2000 XLT Ex-cab. 4X4 I've ran P285/75R16 on all three, granted they're all about the same truck. If your'e sure that they'll fit go for it, on all three trucks my spedo was off about 6 mph (it said 60, I was goin 66). On one of them it did slow the off the line with the bigger tires, bu I have no idea what the gears were in that one. Power wise in my current truck, I've added a k &N FIPK and and air raid throttlebody spacer, significant power gains that more than compensated for tire size. the brand that I've been really impressed with for a really reasonable price, is the low end BF good. brand cavalier, call sport king. It's an aggressive trend that as long as you keep them rotated are a good 40 to 50,000 mile tire. I called today for pricing on new ones, they were around $120 each mounted and balanced at my local shop. I've actually ran the same 4 tires on all three trucks over the pasts 3-4 yrs. I hit a nail or something and blew one last night on my way to the movies, haha. so I'll get 4 more today.....NO FORD LOOKS GOOD WITH A SPARE

Old 09-01-2005, 02:33 PM
[UPDATE]

I called Sears today to place my order. It seems they can no longer get the rims I posted at the start of the thread. So, I went with black painted steel ones. I'm not about the "bling" just what works. The new black rims are $69 bucks each. That works for me.

Then the tires. Oh man this has been an issue since even before I started this thread. I was just very worried about the size, or going too big, or what have you.

I called them up, and I asked for a quote of 265/75/16 BFG's. Out the door they are $813 for all 4.

I asked if they made them smaller, and he said the next step down for BFG's (that they carry) are 245/70/16's. Holy crap! Those are tiny. They are even smaller then what I have now, and would look horrible on my truck with a long bed (as my 255/70/16 look small).

I placed the order. I can only order them from Sears as I have a credit card from Sears (I try not to have a lot of Credit Cards). The total bill, out the door for all four tires and four rims came to: $1,130.

OUCH.

But I do need them. I for sure needed the rims, as mine were all rusty and bent. Tires - yeah, I could have gone to something a bit cheaper, but with all the snow we get here, it will be nice to not worry so much about "am I going to make it home" as I have before.

Come this winter, I'll be ready. New rims, new tires and 700lbs of sand for the bed.

I'll see if I can post pics after wards for everyone.

Here are the before (ie, currenty):
- Before Pic #1
- Before Pic #2

Old 09-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Again, thanks for all of your imput guys.
You are all such a great group, and very helpful.

Quick Reply: My head hurts thinking about tires - wanna help?