Ford Brakes Just Suck!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rix150

Originally Posted by Mike7333
disc brakes weren't designed for heavier vehicles. too much friction concentrated in an area the same as for a lighter vehicle. i say put the shoes up front and the discs in the rear.
Hi, Mike...
I hate to spoil your day, but the folks that fly things like Boeing 747's and C-5 cargo planes would probably disagree with you. Their brakes are disc. I was a maintenance officer for a fire department in Southern California where we had only curves and hills. The fire trucks weighed 32000 lbs and we could get 75000 miles on a set of front pads. Rears were never replaced in the 14 years we owned them. How did we do that? Transmission retarders were one thing that helped , but they aren'e available on light-duty transmissions. Driver training was also a a factor, but the main thing was that these brakes wee designed to stop HEAVY vehicles. If you are seroius about drum brakes on the front and disc on the rear, then I don't want to ride with you as your stopping ability will be both diminished and unstable. You were kidding, weren't you?

Quick Reply: Ford Brakes Just Suck!!