05 4X4 Need Advice on New Rim Size - 20 or 22 and what tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duke, if you are really worried about the suspension being too low, under a load you can always throw on a set of rear airbags. you can set the desired height, and when the truck is under load it will stay at your desired height. there is alot you can do in order to keep your ride at the right height. most guys i know who tow big loads have used airbags in the past, and give nothing but good reviews of them. there is definately some good info out there and i'm sure you'll come across it over the winter. i believe there are a couple people on here that are running airbags & shackles, maybe you can find out some more information from them. good luck. another thing you may want to consider is braking - which i forgot about earlier. if it were my truck and i was going to 22's i'd have some increased stopping power - those things will add some weight to your truck, and will slow you down while accellerating and decellerating.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:09 PM
Yeah I'll probably end up with 20's and more of a truck tire since I don't want to mess with the suspension. 22's on the current truck height would look too weird since there would still be the 4x4 type gap between the tires and the wheel well.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about some 33 inch BFG AT KO's, Toyo Open Country AT's or Nitto Terra Grapplers?

Old 10-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
How about some 33 inch BFG AT KO's, Toyo Open Country AT's or Nitto Terra Grapplers?
On 20 inch rims? Do you know of pictures of these...I really don't have a clue what they look like, so I wouldn't know what to search for.

I just saw f150cent's 4x4 with 22's and they didn't look that bad with the rake. Maybe I won't rule it out completely yet. Rather just have a couple of looks to dwell over for a little bit. haha, or all winter.

Thanks,

Duke

Old 10-17-2005, 07:05 AM
F150 Duke,

When looking to add some aftermarket wheels and tires to your truck, you need to look at a number of things above and beyond looks and style – even though they’re quite important. For instance, any time you change the stuff hanging off the end of your lug nuts, you change the un-sprung weight and therefore the handling of the truck. With the emergence of 20+ inch wheels and tires, some folks are doing some pretty weird stuff in the name of looks – and screwing up their ride, handling and braking big time. Remember, the bigger the wheel and tire combination you go with, the greater the un-sprung weight. Weight is the enemy out there.

Another thing you want to be aware of is sidewall height. Although a set of 24’s may look great, by the time you get down to an outside (tire) diameter that doesn’t go up too much and screw up your effective gear ratio, you end up with what are effectively a set of rubber bands. Where I live, we have these things called potholes that will absolutely eat a wheel after snacking on the short sidewall first.

One other minor point to consider. Given the fact that our OEM brake pads are famous for creating huge amounts of dust, take a close look at the style of wheel and how easy they might be to clean. I’ve found that 20+ inch wheels tend to expose the back side of the wheel and I end up cleaning / polishing mine (front and back) on a regular basis now. Fortunately, the style of wheel I selected makes that quite easy. I‘ve seen many that look like nightmares.

My personal advice is simple – don’t get too wild with wheel size (diameter, width or back spacing) or tire diameter. I’ve ridden in a few trucks recently that look great, but are absolutely scary to drive. They all had 24” or greater wheels on them. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
F150 Duke,

When looking to add some aftermarket wheels and tires to your truck, you need to look at a number of things above and beyond looks and style – even though they’re quite important. For instance, any time you change the stuff hanging off the end of your lug nuts, you change the un-sprung weight and therefore the handling of the truck. With the emergence of 20+ inch wheels and tires, some folks are doing some pretty weird stuff in the name of looks – and screwing up their ride, handling and braking big time. Remember, the bigger the wheel and tire combination you go with, the greater the un-sprung weight. Weight is the enemy out there.

Another thing you want to be aware of is sidewall height. Although a set of 24’s may look great, by the time you get down to an outside (tire) diameter that doesn’t go up too much and screw up your effective gear ratio, you end up with what are effectively a set of rubber bands. Where I live, we have these things called potholes that will absolutely eat a wheel after snacking on the short sidewall first.

One other minor point to consider. Given the fact that our OEM brake pads are famous for creating huge amounts of dust, take a close look at the style of wheel and how easy they might be to clean. I’ve found that 20+ inch wheels tend to expose the back side of the wheel and I end up cleaning / polishing mine (front and back) on a regular basis now. Fortunately, the style of wheel I selected makes that quite easy. I‘ve seen many that look like nightmares.

My personal advice is simple – don’t get too wild with wheel size (diameter, width or back spacing) or tire diameter. I’ve ridden in a few trucks recently that look great, but are absolutely scary to drive. They all had 24” or greater wheels on them. Good luck!
Hey 2stroked,

Thank you for the advice and things to be warry of. I still have a lot of reading and researching to do before I can make a good decision in the tires and rims market. I do know the largest rim I will go with would be a 22.

Regardless of what rims size I do, I'm at least going to put on a good set of ceramic brake pads to cut down on dust. I've had all I can take of brake dust on the stock wheels and wouldn't submit expensive wheels to such punishment. I'm also going to look into other upgrades that can give me more stopping power to counteract the larger rims and then give great stopping power during the winter with the 18 inch stock rims.

Thanks again for all the info!

Duke

Old 10-17-2005, 01:00 PM
F150 Duke,

The best overall advice I can give you is to find somebody who knows what they're talking about to buy from. I found a local shop with a guy who really knew his stuff. ALthough I might have paid a few extra bucks over ordering over the internet, I feel much better about my choice - and long term service. There's lots of good advice here, but it's no match for talking face to face. I can tell you this, I'm VERY happy with my choice and the way it totally transformed my truck. You ought to see the heads swivel now! Take your time and do it right and you won't regret it.

Quick Reply: 05 4X4 Need Advice on New Rim Size - 20 or 22 and what tire