2004 F150 Xlt Super Crew Warped Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevermind I just answered my own question.

TSB 05-21-19

Old 01-22-2006, 11:56 PM
rotors

04 f-150 s crew lariat 4x4, i asked the dealership about my rotors the last time they rotated my tires because the rotor is eating away. they said that is normal. 15,000 miles and the front side was wore down 3/16 deep into the rotor. i rotated my tires this time at 25,ooo miles and checked the rotors, both sides of the rotors are wore down about a 1/4 inch from the brake shoes, and the shoes still look almost new. the brake shoes are made out of better steel then the rotors. i am going to try to get new rotors all the way around. the rotors are pretty thin and i don't think i will let them turn them down. the warranty is 3 years 36,ooo miles bumper to bumper. we should not have any problems with a new truck, or car. thats why people are buying foreign cars.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Hi
I had an 98 with alot of break and rotor probs. A mecanic told me to have the new rotors cut to assure they are 100% true as they can be bad from the factory. I did this and it realy helped.
I now have an 04 the breaks seem fine but the dust is bad
What brand of Pads and rotors woul you suggest I also do alot of towing and was checking into some heaver duty breaks and rotors?
Keith

Old 02-05-2006, 01:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 2004 FX4 Brake Shudder

Hey guys,
I just took my 04 F150 FX4 build date 08/2004 with 27,400 miles on it in on Friday to have the oil changed and tires rotated and was concerned with the same shuddering that everyone seems to be having with these pickups when coming to a stop in the steering and brake pedal. I had been experiencing it for a while but it finally has gotten so bad I needed to have it checked. The Ford dealer told me that the rotors were warped and would need to be turned and that I'd also need new brake pads even though they were not even half worn yet. They quoted me $275 and said it was only covered under warranty for 12,500 miles. I've heard that there is a TSB out on this item. I am just out of college and about to get married and start a family. It is enough to pay for this truck for the next 5 years but to have problems like this with it as new as it is makes me mad. I had a 99 Chevy Silverado and when I traded it at 62,500 miles it had the original brakes and never had to have rotors turned. My mother's 03 GMC Yukon has over 42k with same oem brakes, rotors. Are owners of 04 F-150 trucks going to be stuck having to pay to fix a problem Ford obviously created? If I am going to have to pay lots of $$$ on this thing I'm seriously considering trading for a Chevy or Toyota. I love my Ford. My future father in law is a diehard Chevy guy and I love those Ford vs Chevy battles but I don't know if I can push Ford too much if they can't resolve this. It's like being hurt by your best friend. Should I take the TSB to the dealer and push the issue and if they do replace the rotors, does anyone know if they are good or will I be dealing with this again down the road? Thanks- have a great weekend everyone!

-David

Old 02-06-2006, 04:11 PM
UPDATE ON BRAKE SHUDDER
I talked with service at my local Ford dealer today that had quoted me $275 previously. I gave them the TSB number and they looked it up. Basically if the truck was built prior to 11/29/04 and has the old style rotors then Ford will replace the rotors and the calipers which come pre-loaded with brake pads. If the truck has the new style rotors already then only the rotors are replaced if you are outside the 12,500 mile warranty on the pads. This is what I have heard from other posters as well. I will probably get some non-Ford pads but hopefully this will fix the problem. If anyone has had this work done and can attest to the quality of the replacement rotors please reply. Thanks!

Originally Posted by drunderw
Hey guys,
I just took my 04 F150 FX4 build date 08/2004 with 27,400 miles on it in on Friday to have the oil changed and tires rotated and was concerned with the same shuddering that everyone seems to be having with these pickups when coming to a stop in the steering and brake pedal. I had been experiencing it for a while but it finally has gotten so bad I needed to have it checked. The Ford dealer told me that the rotors were warped and would need to be turned and that I'd also need new brake pads even though they were not even half worn yet. They quoted me $275 and said it was only covered under warranty for 12,500 miles. I've heard that there is a TSB out on this item. I am just out of college and about to get married and start a family. It is enough to pay for this truck for the next 5 years but to have problems like this with it as new as it is makes me mad. I had a 99 Chevy Silverado and when I traded it at 62,500 miles it had the original brakes and never had to have rotors turned. My mother's 03 GMC Yukon has over 42k with same oem brakes, rotors. Are owners of 04 F-150 trucks going to be stuck having to pay to fix a problem Ford obviously created? If I am going to have to pay lots of $$$ on this thing I'm seriously considering trading for a Chevy or Toyota. I love my Ford. My future father in law is a diehard Chevy guy and I love those Ford vs Chevy battles but I don't know if I can push Ford too much if they can't resolve this. It's like being hurt by your best friend. Should I take the TSB to the dealer and push the issue and if they do replace the rotors, does anyone know if they are good or will I be dealing with this again down the road? Thanks- have a great weekend everyone!

-David

Old 02-10-2006, 12:02 AM
Another Update

TRUCK BACK FROM SHOP
I took my truck in this morning to have TSB applied for brake shudder. Since my truck was man. prior to 11/04 and had the old style rotors they replaced my calipers (which had new brake pads) and my rotors but only on the front. The back rotors/calipers were left alone. I still may get different pads but right now the truck drives a ton better. It is nice to stop and not feel like the front end is going to jump out from under me. Thanks for the TSB update Ford, I couldn't have paid to have it fixed out of pocket.

Originally Posted by drunderw
UPDATE ON BRAKE SHUDDER
I talked with service at my local Ford dealer today that had quoted me $275 previously. I gave them the TSB number and they looked it up. Basically if the truck was built prior to 11/29/04 and has the old style rotors then Ford will replace the rotors and the calipers which come pre-loaded with brake pads. If the truck has the new style rotors already then only the rotors are replaced if you are outside the 12,500 mile warranty on the pads. This is what I have heard from other posters as well. I will probably get some non-Ford pads but hopefully this will fix the problem. If anyone has had this work done and can attest to the quality of the replacement rotors please reply. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2006, 07:45 PM
If you have not already upgraded, I would suggest looking into the www.frozenrotors.com slotted rotors and one of the upgraded pads that they offer. You will not warp there rotors and will have much better braking performance.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Thumbs down 2004 F150 Extcab 4x4 Front Brake/rotor Problem

I BOUGHT THIS LEFTOVER TRUCK LAST FEB..THE ONLY PROBLEMS IVE HAD IS WITH THE BRAKE AND ROTORS,ALONG WITH THE SHAKING WHEN I STOP AT HIGH SPEED.IT HAS BEEN AT THE DEALERSHIP 3 TIMES SINCE I BOUGHT IT.I HAVE ONLY A LITTLE OVER 10K ON IT..THE 1ST TIME THEY TURNED THE ROTORS,2ND TIME THEY GAVE ME NEW 1S AND NOW THIS TIME, THEY SAID THEY HAD TO ORDER PARTS AND ITS BEEN 2 DAYS NOW.WHAT COULD BE TAKING SO LONG?? I KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO GIVE ME THE RUN AROUND..ARE THEY SCARED I MIGHT CRY LEMON IF ITS NOT RIGHT THIS TIME??ANY INPUT ON THE SITUATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED..IM NOT SURE ABOUT THE DATE IT WAS PRODUCED.THEY SAID IT WOULD BE DONE 2MORROW,CAUSE THEY NEEDED TO TEST DRIVE IT..PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH ANY INPUT..THANKS GMAN1124@AOL.COM

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Xlt Super Crew Warped Rotors